Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Finishing Up Poland and Amazing News :)

Before I go any further about Poland... I have to share some amazing news :)


I cannot describe how thrilled I am to have this opportunity. The odds were about 1.25 in 10 or something like that... Things like this make me so appreciative for my ability to run and to be a healthy, strong individual and to be able to do things like this. I am SO excited for October 12 and to embark on my training journey when I arrive home in the United States. I have a lot to learn about marathon training, running, recovery, nutrition, and racing and cannot wait to start the experience.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay back to Poland.

After our Saturday trip to Auschwitz, things got significantly less profound. We've mostly spent time seeing all the old parts of Poland (what parts of Poland aren't old?) and seeing museums and art, which are all things pertinent to Poland's history but not necessarily to our Hitler class (which is why we are here). Still, we are receiving an amazing education here. Our tour guide, Filip, is really great and has worked with MUDEC for many years.

Yesterday, we went to Schindler's factory in the morning. We all expected it to be just a factory, as we'd seen in the movie. However, it was transformed into one of the best, most information-dense museums I'd been in! It did a great job illustrating what war-time Poland looked like and we saw many very interesting things. We were kind of rushed through it though, and had a questionnaire to fill out for class so we didn't get to focus on all of the things we would've liked to. Still, I thought it was very interesting.

Yesterday evening, we went to a Chopin concert. I'd always thought Chopin was French but apparently only his father was French, and his mother was Polish. He died at age 38 and though he was buried in France, he asked for his heart to be buried in Warsaw.

The concert was performed in an intimate setting in a hotel by one of Poland's best pianists. I really enjoyed the classical music. 

St. Mary's Church after the concert last night. Check out the moon!

Yesterday and today we stopped for lunch in a giant mall (much like our big American malls) and went to "Salad Story." You can create your own or choose from a number of set salads. I adored it!

Today we went to Poland's oldest university (Copernicus studied there in the Middle Ages) and several churches. It was freezing (aka 40 degrees and rainy) and I was so shivery that I couldn't focus on much of what Filip was saying.

The university.
We climbed to the top of one of the churches, which led us to the best view in all of Kraków!
When our morning class tour ended, we had no choice but to go to "Coffee Heaven" to warm up. Plain black coffee is now my normal choice in coffee shops.
We went to an outdoor Easter market as well, and I was so cold that I was inspired to buy these woolen hand-knitted socks for 5 US dollars. Warmest socks I've ever put on, I think!

Tomorrow morning is the end of our stay in Poland and it will be our trip to the Salt Mines, which is a big tourist attraction here. Then we'll be off to hang out in the airport for awhile and get into Rome late tomorrow night! Looking forward to some warm Italian weather.

This trip has been so well organized and educational. I don't think I ever could've seen Kraków in this way without such a great guide. I've learned more than I ever thought I would have about this place, and it's all been very interesting to me. I wouldn't have chosen to come to Kraków individually, but this class trip has been very meaningful. I can't believe that 1 month from today I'll be back on the road to Cleveland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment