Thursday, February 27, 2014

My new enemy and a relaxing Friday.

Has anyone else seen this Ben & Jerry's invention? I almost think I need to come home really quick just to test it out...
I'm actually fairly certain I saw this available in the Ben&Jerry's we went to in London...but now I'm not sure if it was just a "coming soon" sign or if it said they actually had it there!

This morning featured another run with Alex! I love having company on my runs - especially from him. He's all about trails so we got to explore a new running spot and ran about half of our course all on nice soft, muddy trails in a rather mountainous terrain (Luxembourg is quite hilly). I was glad not to run alone today, especially after my spill yesterday...

From one of our Edinburgh runs since I didn't get any today. How cool to have run there!

When I got back from my run, I saw my host-mother, which is pretty unusual. She gave me some bread for my roommate and some figs and dates for me. I was pretty excited - I've been on a dried fruit kick and these in particular are good for fuel during long runs. When I got to my kitchen I saw something even more exciting about these particular fruits à secs.
Trader Joe's? In Luxembourg???

I know that there isn't a real Trader Joe's here but I have a feeling you can buy their products at the "bio" or "healthy" market up the road from here. That'll have to be investigated this weekend as well!

Before going to class, I made lunch for Alex and myself. I had some eggs I needed to use up so I made scrambled eggs plus mushrooms for me and several for him, sans mushrooms. 

We're planning to stay in Luxembourg this weekend - time to travel our own city! Tomorrow we're going on a (free of charge) study tour with our class to a spa in France! It's called Amnéville Thermal Hot Springs and Spa... if you google it the first thing that will come up is a blog mentioning it...and the blog is an old MUDEC participant! Thought that was kind of funny.

I feel calmer just looking at this...

We'll be back by dinner time. I think I'm going to whip up some enchiladas... I'm looking forward to a weekend of new recipes!

These pancakes will probably make an appearance

I'm also excited to hopefully go to a special soup restaurant in the city center... I love soup and it's been recommended to us, so if it turns out to be good it might be a fun place to take my parents when they visit!
---------------------------
For a couple days I've known that I would soon have to take an adventure throughout the house to find some toilet paper for our bathroom. Since I had time this morning (2 classes cancelled) I took it upon myself to take this journey. My host-mother was at work at her son's hotel, so I felt comfortable to look around. I quickly discovered that there was none to be found on the second floor, so went to the first floor powder room which is located in a sort of closed-off mudroom/closet. I opened the door to the mudroom to access the bathroom, and found...KALINKA! (Kalinka is the dog in case you don't remember!) I didn't realize she would be there, because normally she announces her presence with lots of growls and barks. 

I cautiously ventured in, and she stayed perfectly quiet. At last, I found TONS of toilet paper! Grabbed some and turned around...and Kalinka had left the room! I hadn't closed the door! She was happily sniffing about the foyer of the first floor... I knew I had to get her back in, and speedy in case my host-mom returned! Kalinka's a small dog, but I didn't want to touch her at all because she might bite. Also, she speaks Luxembourgish. The normal "come," or "stay" were NOT going to cut it.

I started by patting on her bed and making soft, cooing noises and saying her name. She responded but every time she came over to me, she ran back out of the room. I put some dog food on her bed - nope. I got down her leash and make leash clicky noises (this always used to work for Sammy!) - alas no. She's a picky dog. Finally I got into her bed kept saying her name...after about 15 minutes of all of this she did finally come over and I ran out of the room and closed the door - but not before seeing her distraught and betrayed face. I guess I've made a new enemy here. 

More updates tomorrow or Saturday! Hope you all do something relaxing for your weekend as well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment