Thursday, February 6, 2014

Weekend Prep.

Today included a nice break after my difficult Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday when I got to the Château I saw an announcement posted to the door that said that two of my three classes today were canceled. I had to get up early to go take a TB test for my residency process, but then I return home where I warmed up with a cup of coffee and got to relax for a while.

On the bus, I noted that a lot of people here read while on public transport. It's refreshing - in the United States I'm usually the only one doing this if I take the RTA. (I know my mom reads on the train too! She says most people are on their phones or tablets). Today I saw something a little unusual, even for here! A girl of about 3 was "reading" the newspaper on the bus!

Sidenote: TB tests are really weird. It creates a bubble under your skin, and evidently in a week they will check the bubble and determine whether not I have tuberculosis. The bubble part is what really freaks me out. Finding the location of the test this morning was actually my first solo Luxembourg adventure. I headed out at 7 AM and took the bus to the train station navigated on foot from there. It was about a 10 minute walk and I only got slightly lost. I think the trick is to just look like you know what you're doing, which of course deters people from bothering you, but also gives you the added confidence needed to find your destination.

After the TB test was the first time that I have even been in the apartment by myself. I just lay down on my bed and stayed there for a while staring at the ceiling in the state of exhaustion from the previous days of the week. It was really nice to just have quiet and to be by myself to think about things for a while. Nothing specific, just thoughts in general. I'm one of those people who has to have alone time every once in a while. I really feed off of alone time and it helps me get organized and be productive. I think part of my exhaustion so far this semester is due in part to never being alone. So getting this time has been nice.

I got some work done and made a nice lunch again since I didn't have to go out until afternoon for my last class of the day. I cooked a bunch of greens, mushrooms, and an eggs on the stove in some olive oil. I took a picture but it was not aesthetically pleasing so just take my word for it - it was yummy! Reminded me of my favorite lunch over winter break.

If you know me, you know I can't go more than a few days (or less) without some sort of sugar fix... today mine was a little taste of gelato. To be honest, it was disappointing (though it was from a VERY Italian gelateria - the owner spoke neither French nor English very well which is rare around here, especially since French is an official language and you need it to get by). I guess I have to just wait to try some gelato in Florence!!!

Another side note: This reminded me of an interesting fact... When we were going through our Integration process during the first few days here in Luxembourg, we were told that 47% of Luxembourgish citizens are actually immigrants! I thought that was terribly interesting - about half of all people here are immigrants! I thought about that as I went through my physical exam and TB test to get my own residency (though I'm definitely not an "immigrant," and am barely a resident, it's very cool to call this place "home" for a little while). 

Everyday, I fix a dinner and bring it to the Chateau. Usually I can supplement it with lunch leftovers (the portions are very generous), so I bring a salad. I use mixed greens, apples, clementine, dried cranberry, and olive oil and it's great. I LOVE my fruits and veggies and I'm thrilled that I get them just as much here as at home! I'm enjoying cooking for myself - for me the hardest part is now factoring time everyday to find a grocery store and get everything I need without forgetting anything!

On days that I can't go out and run, I've been making good use of my indoor workout and 8-minute abs. I need ways to expel all my extra energy or I go nuts! I  do my indoor workout in sets and usually do about 30 minutes. Sometimes I think it's good to do that instead of running to help strengthen my arms and back so I don't lose all of my rowing muscles.

Remember this funny abs video from the '90s? A little silly but it does the trick!

This evening was spent late at the Chateau taking advantage of good internet access to plan for our weekend. I don't think I'll get to do another post until Monday morning - which is going to be the middle of the night for you guys - but I will be uploading pictures throughout the weekend and making a great post for Monday :) I hope you all have good weekends - wherever you are!



No comments:

Post a Comment