Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Three weeks, a breakfast dish, and the war wages onward...

Well, the bed bug war isn't quite over. We think that one of us (probably both) still has them somewhere in our host-homes so that has been requiring a lot of attention this week... And that's in addition to trying to plan out our 12 days in the United Kingdom (we leave on Friday).

Alas, we've been here on this new planet for three weeks! That's a pretty solid chunk of time...it will be 1 month before we know it, and February is flying by like it always does. I think I'm becoming a lot more acclimated here, and I'm not feeling that same "homesick" feeling quite so acutely. Routine is slowly working it's way out, especially as time opens up now that I'm almost done working on all of those extra (physical, TB test, authorization of residency) to get my temporary citizenship card. Now that I'm feeling more settled, of course, it's time to pick up for a holiday! I'm sure I'll settle back in when we return though, and am very excited for this trip!

Bed bugs haven't been fun to deal with, but we're focusing on the positives... like our weekend in Scotland and seeing "War Horse" and Les Miserables in the New London and Queen's Theatre, respectively. When thinking about these things, it's not hard to forget about the bed bugs :)

This morning was a Wednesday morning...which means BRUNCH! This week I made something that I enjoy eating at home...easier than quiche (no crust) and not quite as complex as a strata, but with some of the same components as each. I had my mom send me this recipe, which I modified. I omitted the bacon and onion (because I didn't have one) and added frozen peas and carrots, and of course mushrooms :) I also didn't have jalapeƱo so we had to skip that too. Instead of 5 eggs, I used 7 because it was for three people (and because I never know how much I will need to feed a certain someone who has a big appetite...). 7 eggs worked out perfectly and came out pretty well!


This morning I got this in an email....

Sounds so good! Too bad I can't nip down to the Pelatonia office in Columbus for a Valentine's Day brunch!

I guess in the whirlwind of coming here and preparing to go abroad, I didn't get the chance to share about Pelatonia...

A classmate and I created a new "club" at Miami for a Scholar Leader project... as a part of this club we made a Miami "Pelaton," or cohort of cyclists for Pelatonia, which is a fundraising bike ride affiliated with Ohio State. They raise funds for research against cancer, and it's becoming quite a big deal as the years pass. The ride happens each August.

You can ride 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, or 180 miles for the cause. Obviously some of those longer rides are going to be 2 day long events, but the shorter ones are just a day! Right now I'm signed up for the 75-miler, which I think will be a challenge because I'm a new rider. I really wanted to do the 100 but I decided to sign up for 75 since I don't have experience, but also because I might be preparing for something else BIG this coming fall... but more on that later :)

More on Bruges, just because!

Seeing THIS canal made me which I had a shell to put in and row there...

A cool view of Church of Our Lady!

In the next few days I will shed a little bit of light on the exciting plans we have for the UK, and maybe I'll do my first Lux "Favorite Things Friday!" It's been awhile since doing one of those!

Happy Wednesday!






No comments:

Post a Comment