Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Summary of Life Lately.

I'm back. I've been failing at posting on the blog lately, and I think about it almost everyday but never have the time to sit down a write a good update. I've been a little bit in over my head during this last month at school; I'm registered for 21 hours including doing some research in two different psychology labs (this is WAY cool), I'm wrapping up marathon training (T-17 days), rowing (just had our first regatta on the weekend - I'll get to that!), Regatta Chairing, and actively participating in a few miscellaneous clubs/activities going on.

The 21 hours isn't so bad. I'm typically in an academic building doing things that are, well, academic from 8:30AM-5:30PM from Monday-Thursday. Mostly I'm doing psychology and psych labs, but I also have some business courses for a change of scenery. I'm doing a minor in Management & Leadership, which serves as my "practical" minor (since, sadly, I'm not sure how often my French will come into play in the future).

Running has been coming along alright, though it's admittedly tougher when your whole life can't revolve around marathon training (shock!). My body is definitely more prone to injuries for fatigue-related reasons. I try to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night, which would've been more than enough over the summer, but when I'm riding my bike all around town everyday to get to classes, attending classes for 8+ hours 4 days a week, traveling, rowing, and doing 5 billion other little things, it's definitely tougher on my body. Last week I had to stop a run short and take an extra day off due to weird hip problems - luckily they were short lived. This week I'm doing a final highish-milage week and will be cutting back the mileage significantly for the final 2 weeks until the big day.

This past weekend featured lots of rowing. I'm the Regatta Chair for our team, which means I'm in charge of registering our boats for races, booking hotels/figuring out accommodations, figuring out our transportation (drive our own cars or rent vans?), making sure each individual rower makes it from Point A to Point B and back, picking up race day packets, etc. It's a lot of responsibility at times.

Our weekend at Head of the Cuyahoga was particularly special to me because that is my "home regatta," and is hosted by the boathouse that I rowed out of hundreds of zillions of times in high school. My doubles partner and I even borrowed the same double that we used in high school. Biggest plus? Sleeping in my own bed :)

This is how you know it's a regatta weekend:

We stayed at home on Friday night and got up bright and early on Saturday to launch. We were event 7 - by far the earliest event on our team. Everyone was there to see us off though!


We ended up having an amazing race. 



Many modeling shots were necessary once we were back on land. 

With our awesome rental double :)
Home sweet Cuyahoga!


It was nice to be done earlier one because we got the chance to spend the day cheering for our team. Overall, we did great. 3 of our other boats placed. Our women's varsity 8 got a trophy along with their gold medals - they won the "Daisy Award," which they received for the fastest overall women's 8 time - even among masters and junior boats. That's pretty fast.

We didn't know it until an hour or so after getting back on land, but we ended up taking first place. We were thrilled! The other competitors in our event were masters women with (supposedly) a lot more experience, so I felt really proud.
Modeling the gold!
1.5 weeks until our next race... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment