Monday, September 8, 2014

Vegetarian Chili, the 18-miler, and other important things.

I feel like I have so much to catch you up on! Last week was extremely busy, and I am still adjusting to my new routine but hopefully will be able to get posts up a little more often now that I'm settling in. 

Let's start at the beginning. Last week I threw a bunch of veggies into the crockpot and made CHILI. 

I loosely followed THIS recipe.

It was comprised of several different kinds of beans, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet potato, and lots of other goodness. 
Lasted for SEVERAL dinners and was a big hit among my roommates.

I also discovered this:
It's very delicious but a little pricey so I will only eat/buy it on special occasions. 

I had a busy weekend with 2 really early wake ups so I used that almond butter to bribe myself out of bed.

On Saturday, I did my 18-MILER! It was one of the most fun I've had on a long run, and the miles seemed to fly by (well, sort of). This was due largely in part to the fact that I had two AWESOME friends tag team it through my run. My roommate got up with my at 5:45AM to start me off, and she did about 6 miles with me. I did about 4 miles on my own, and then met my other friend who got me through the last 8 miles. Having someone to talk to for most of the run was amazing, and distracting from the potential misery that I could've been in.

By the end of the long run, I felt SO done. The distance was manageable though, and I felt confident. I hit marathon pace in the last 4 or so miles, but most of it was easy-paced. On Thursday, I had done 9 miles with 6 tempo miles on the treadmill. That went well. I'm still bouncing back from my "injury" but not having any problems. One week till it's time to taper.

When I got home from the 18-miler on Saturday, I rolled out my muscles and stretched, and then sat on some ice packs for awhile to help my muscles recover. Before long, my parents came into town to hang out with me and my sister for a few hours!

We had gelato, bought some a college sweatshirt for my mom, and hung out enjoying the cooler weather. 
As a side note, some challah was also made last week. This will be happening again soon.
On Sunday, we left at about 6:30AM to go spend the day in Dayton playing with service dogs. We get to help foster/socialize them! We don't have our own service dogs to individually foster yet but we're hoping that next semester there's an opportunity for that. For now, there's just lots of playing with the puppies :)

On Sunday evenings I always spend some time planning out my food for the week. I decide what I need for lunches and dinners and whether I'll need to pack lunches, meet my sister for lunch to use her discounted meal plan, or whether I have evening engagements after class that will include dinners. If I'm going to do a crockpot meal I decide what day of the week I should cook that up (Monday or Tuesday?) depending on my schedule. 

As I approach the marathon taper, I want to veer away once again from snack-y, unfulfilling foods, and focus on eating cleanly and wholesomely. In the past 2 weeks I've been so busy that I've opted for more quick, easy options more often than usual. In many ways, my health will be of the utmost importance in the next weeks leading up to the marathon, and diet plays such an incremental role in that.

I decided I wanted a salady type of meal for this week, so last night I whipped up a quinoa salad with what I had in my kitchen. I had lots of corn on the cob I needed to use, so I cooked that in the microwave, made some red quinoa, and mixed it all together with some baby kale that I needed to use up. I thought I could add more to it, so I also stirred in some frozen broccoli (my fave). To dress it, I just mixed in a bunch of olive oil and some salt and pepper.
I just had some for lunch and I really liked it! It's good cold; I prefer it room temperature. It's balanced and filling with lots of great energy in it! Also, I love being able to clean out my fridge before stuff gets too old. 

Coming up this week : 

-Rowing in the double starts TOMORROW.

-On Wednesday I might make a slow-cooker "bean medley..." I will have to let you know how that goes!

-More challah baking

Running recap from last week (9/1-9/6):

Sunday : 5 miles easy (treadmill). 
Monday: 6 miles on the treadmill with miles 2-3 and 4-5 at marathon pace.
Tuesday : 4 miles on the treadmill.
Wednesday : Off
Thursday : 9 miles with 6 middle miles @ 7:45-7:48 pace.
Friday : 2.5 miles ( I stopped because I thought I could feel my hip tightening up and I was worried!)
Saturday : 18 miles.

Total : 44.5 miles (and feeling good!)

Hopefully another post in a day or two - I'm trying to get back in that pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment