Friday, May 30, 2014

7 Wants.

"Seven wants" feels like a really broad topic... my wants can be both of such a large magnitude and so shallow at the same time. My "seven wants" for these purposes are a mixture of both :)

1. To become a clinician. Becoming a clinical psychologist is something that I've been actively working towards since senior year of high school (which is when I took my first psychology course and also worked several psychologists/psychiatrists for my Senior Project). I think it's a lucky and a rare thing to know exactly what you want to do with yourself at age 18, to pick a path, and stick to it. While experimenting and trying new things to figure out what your calling is can also be a really important experience, I feel fortunate that I knew early on that I wanted to begin the long process of getting my PhD in psychology and becoming a clinician. Helping people and understanding what makes them tick is my passion. I have a lot of people tell me that I don't know what I'm getting myself into with this job; that I won't like my job when I have "crazy" people coming into my office every day. I don't think that these people's warnings could be more wrong. The more exposure I get in the field - which I'm lucky to have a fair amount - the more certain I am that this is what I am meant to do. I have about ~6 more years of school until I'm "official," but I honestly look forward to each of those years and the years beyond. 

2. To stay in a tiki hut. A much lighter note :) Doesn't it just sound fun to jump out a hole in the floor and into a kayak and boat around in warm, crystal blue waters?

3. To run fast. Following in the (literal) footsteps of many of my peers recently, I really, really want to be a Boston Marathon qualifier. Not sure that that's necessarily in the cards for the Chicago Marathon when I do it in October, but I would LOVE to qualify...someday :)
4. To see the Amazon. I know this might be a bit of a big leap from my relatively "cushy" travel experience in Europe, but I feel like this is a trip that I would now actually make. I know it's a lot more intense and involved to travel there than to Europe (as far as arrangements and medical concerns and other things), but the Amazon Rainforest is something that I would LOVE to see some day.

5. To own a bakery. This might be one of my least practical wants, but it still makes the list! When Alex and I first began dating, one of the activities that we would often do together was baking. It was a good activity because it taught us how to work together and helped us to really start to know each other. Ever since, we've each held a soft spot for baking. We even used to want to open up our own bakery (with proper financial planning of course!) before realizing that it would most likely be really tough to fit into our lifestyles (unless it's a project we work on in retirement). Still, I love to fantasize about the idea, and whenever I see property for sale in an ideal location, I always make a mental note that it would be "the perfect place for a bakery."

6. To write a book. I really don't know if this book would be fiction, non-fiction, research-based, or what, but I've always wanted to write a book and have it published. I've been writing stories since I was about 6, and have always dreamed of being an author. 

7. My own dog. When I can properly afford and care for him, I will be so ready for a lab :) I already have a local lab shelter picked out (even though I probably can't adopt a dog for ~10 more years and who knows where I'll be... I'm ready!).

-------------------------------------------------

Today's workout:
-10-minute row
-5-minute bike (rest)
-10-minute row
-4-minute arms only

Getting back on the erg down in our basement felt good...and scary. I was at an all-time peak by the end of last summer; though I didn't put too much work only into rowing last summer, my running, spinning, and weekly (or biweekly) rowing workouts really helped strengthen my body overall. I made a huge PR on my 5k erg tryout last fall. Now, I feel like all that handwork has been lost. All of my running in Europe kept my cardio strong, but muscle-wise, I'm weak. So hopefully I can work on this at least once a week to get it back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment