Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The PRINCE is coming and looking ahead...


Like I mentioned yesterday, I've been unfortunately sick for about a week or so. A nasty sinus infection (I have sinusitis) took a sudden turn for the worse and I've had a sore throat, conjunctivitis in my eye (we thought it was pink eye!), and a lot of head congestion for too many days. Finally yesterday I made a doctor's appointment and immediately got an appointment slot within an hour. I got there 15 minutes early, was seen with no wait at all (?!!?), and was in and out of the office within 5 minutes. Went right into the pharmacy next door and got my 3 prescriptions, zip zap zoom, done! As an additional plus, the pharmacist was really cute and helpful and at the end of the appointment he asked if I was from Miami and when I said yes he said "Félicitations pour votre français!" I guess he is unused to the Miami students speaking anything but American English. It was such a great compliment that it almost made it worth it to be sick. I can't believe we (Alex and I) are to the point where we speak French at the doctor's office, at the pharmacy, at the grocery store, at the ticket office, etc. It really is a part of our daily life now and I'm thrilled! It has made all those years of study worth it.

-------------------------------------------

They're coming, they're coming!
That's the oldest son of the Grand Duke, Prince Guillaume (love that name!). With him is his wife Princess Stéphanie. They will both be coming on Friday and all of Differdange is actually preparing for their visit. Lots of gardening, power washing, etc. The "secret service" is running around the Chateau to make sure it's "secure." Our Student Activities Coordinator told us we have to "channel our inner Kate Middleton." This is a BIG deal. I'm plotting what to wear...still not sure but it has to be very formal! I might even put on some nail polish to be extra special. We will be receiving them personally in our very own Grand Hall and we will all be lined up along the sides and they will walk down amongst us and then through the gardens here. It's almost like when Obama came to our high school except more intimate.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, as my semester in Europe wraps up, what does the summer hold for me??

  • Marathon training: This will likely be the biggest priority for me over the next several months! I actually don't start until the end of June and then I will set in on my training plan. So I will continue my normal running until then :)
  • Making a cookbook: I have hopes of consolidating all of my favorite recipes into a big ol' cookbook for my apartment next year!
  • June 15 Half-Marathon: I'm going to be a streaker for this race, it looks like! I've been tentative about this race because my health hasn't been great recently (this dumb sinus infection) and I don't want to overdo it right before my marathon training plan. This is the same race that I did last June, and right now I have plans of making it my first half-marathon of 2014 and a fun race before marathon training begins. It looks like I won't be able to schedule a tune-up half-marathon during training for Chicago, so this race will give me the benefit of a long run and some added confidence that yes, I can run far :) Plus it's fun! I'm a very goal-oriented person and I'm happiest when I have something to work towards (which is probably why I like running! And rowing!).
  • Back to work: Remember my real-people job last summer? Yep, I'm headed back to the same company this year!
  • No Ironman: Remember when I was going to do the Ironman 70.3 in August? Not anymore! Now I'm doing the Pelaton Ride in Columbus with an organization that I founded. I'll have to wait to be an Ironman until next year! It's definitely still a dream of mine!
  • A trip to Oxford: I'm heading to Oxford in the end of June, people! Looks like I don't have to wait until August to see this beautiful place after all! May also be doing a few other short trips over the summer.
For the most part, I think I'll be enjoying the good parts of staying in one place for awhile! My classmates and I all agree that we will have an interesting time of it when we suddenly aren't picking up and traveling every few days. Rather than seeing life as boring back home, I think it's better to enjoy having an easier schedule. For now I'm just focusing on exams and enjoying the last few days of my time in Luxembourg! It will be nice to be here this weekend to enjoy Luxembourg itself - students do not travel in the weekend before exams. It will be good to be able to just focus on school, packing, and Luxembourg for the last few days!

1 comment:

  1. You should have gotten your picture taken with royalty!

    ReplyDelete