Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bananas & socks & March.

Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you've all had great weekends - can you believe it's MARCH??? February really flew by (but it always does!). 

Being at home the whole weekend has required a lot of grown up things, like cooking. I ended up using this recipe for the pancakes - at least to some extent. I always start off trying to follow recipes here and then end up doing my own thing because I have to make up my own measurements and don't always have the exact ingredients. I did use yogurt to healthify these, and I used a higher egg-white to yolk ratio to make them very fluffy and airy. It worked! They came out with a fluffy, banana-y inside and crispy crunchy outside. I'm not a big pancake person but I really enjoyed these!




Enchiladas! I used a recipe I found here. They were "scrambled" so it just had the tortilla chopped up and stirred in rather than wrapping it up in one.

Alex's plate always comes with ~3 cups of rice :)

Yesterday we went postcard hunting but instead I got a pair of socks

We hit the hills again this morning and did 4.5-5 miles together. We've run together more in the last month than ever in our 4+ years together and I can't complain! We did some running through hilly trails again and it was gorgeous and sunny...I wore SHORTS. I haven't worn shorts to run in since my half-marathon on October 13. My legs forgot what the light of day looked like.

I think my goals for this week are going to be to keep hydrating and STRETCH. Here I run less frequently, but when I do run I run more miles and keep my weekly mileage pretty similar to what it was at home. This means my legs get extra tight and I've gotta stretch 'em out to prevent injury! I also haven't really gotten properly hydrated since I got here 5.5 weeks ago and at this point I've just got to make that a priority. 

My host-mother invited both Alex and me to join her for lunch with her son this afternoon. He's about our age and came in from school in London with his girlfriend. The girlfriend is only French-speaking so we had the entire lunch in French! I kept thinking back to my level of French before coming here, which was still good after 8 years of study, but I think I would've struggled through a meal where we only spoke French. Now my auditory comprehension is great and I really didn't have an issue the whole time! My speaking still needs some work because I'm shy and am afraid of making mistakes so I just don't speak as much. It's still good, and I can get by, but it's not comfortable for me to speak French like it is for me to listen to it. Speaking more will be my goal until the end of the semester - I want to soak up as much as I can as far as the language here!

This afternoon I have to get down to business on some not-fun school-related things and then do some travel planning...but I think that's only fair considering how many fun things I've been doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment