Friday, March 7, 2014

Favorite Things Friday!

We are off to Zurich this afternoon! On the agenda includes boat rides, an 8-mile hike, botanical gardens, and chocolate :) We are going with our friend and it should be a lot of fun!

Not so fun is that I'm sick. I have a sinus infection :( With the lack of sleep, exposure to lots of sick people at the Chateau, travel, and piling running on top of that, I guess my system broke down. This is the first Friday since I've been here that I slept in (until 7:45 when my sore throat woke me up) instead of running. Some runners say that they'll run with any ailment "above the throat" but for me, anything below the forehead is a no-go. This was a tea and ice cream for breakfast kind of morning (even though dairy when you have a sore throat is bad because apparently it coats your throat, making it harder to swallow... I will make better choices for the rest of my illness :).

The good news: I haven't had a sinus infection since the end of August. After that I started using a prescribed nasal spray to ease my symptoms. 6.5 months without a sinus infection is the longest I've gone since I was ~12 years old. THIS IS A BIG DEAL! I know it might sound like I'm a baby, but when you have 3-4 in a row every fall and again every spring, and when they're incredibly painful, this is something to be very excited about! So even though I don't feel great now, I'm still really grateful that I don't feel like this alllllll the time anymore!

Favorite things this week:

1. Salads! And fruits. Okay - this is a favorite EVERY week! This is my weekend food-supply. Lunch for today and snacks for the rest of the trip! Granola, bananas, hardboiled eggs, cranberries, a salad, granola bar, and plain granola!

2. Sunsets. So cliché but this one right by my house last night was too pretty to ignore.

3. Sorry for the blurry bus photo - this favorite thing is PINK HOUSES! Most are duller pastel colors so these ones were worth noting. It would be cool to live in a pink house.

4. Spring weather. (Those in the polar vortex, it's coming to you too! I promise!)

5. Hobnobs. This is a classic British packaged cookie... a hard crunchy oatmeal cookie with chocolate on the bottom. I have been making my stock from the trip last!

6. This cookie recipe from http://eatrealhealthyfood.com. No dairy, eggs, gluten, or added sugars! Choco chip cookies with apple sauce, PB, dates, and oats. I made these for the trip this weekend and they came out so yummy! More like granola bars but perfect for travel :)

7. Grapefruit. Welcome back to my life! I used to eat one of these a day, but haven't so much here because we don't have a good grapefruit knife. Maybe it's time to re-introduce these...clearly I need the vitamin C!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! My next post will be on...ZURICH!

No comments:

Post a Comment