Thursday, March 27, 2014

Family time in Luxembourg!

As if it wasn't spectacular enough to meet my parents in Paris over the weekend, I got an encore of excitement on Tuesday evening, when they came in to Luxembourg City. They stayed in a hotel right at my daily bus stop by the train station - I've looked up at their hotel since my very first day in Europe! I also sneak the hotel's wifi during long waits for the bus, so I guess it's been good karma for them since they got my family's business!

Having my parents come to my "home city" in Europe was an amazing treat. I was thrilled to get to show them around and share my favorite Luxembourg experiences with them. We started out their short visit on Tuesday night with some créole food for dinner, and then headed to bed early - we were all still tired from the busy weekend! I started my day early on Wednesday and got a run in per usual, and began packing for a 3-day weekend in Interlaken! Starting this week, I do not have Wednesday or Friday classes any more. This worked out perfectly because I was able to spend ALL of Wednesday with my parents! 

First stop was the American Cemetery, which I'd visited during my first few days here as well. It's well-with the visit, and going back meant we weren't rushed through it so quickly. Just like the first time, the upkeep was spotless, with well-manicured grass, perfectly white marble headstones, and a most distinct air of dignity. 

Next we went into the city to go down into the Gründe. I showed them the awesome view from above the old part of the city and then we walked down and enjoyed the gardens for a few minutes. 


Next, we wandered over to do some shopping around and CHOCOLATE HOUSE. This is only my 3rd time to Chocolate House and it's been awhile since the last visit. I was excited to see that they had put out some springy/Eastery decorations, very cute!

My dad ordered a small quiche for lunch and my mom and I ordered some coffee. The three of us shared a delicious piece of cake, which was nice and dense with slivered dates on the inside, caramel between the layers, and a hard chocolate outside. Perfection.
Our cake :)

Carrot cake is in season! Theirs is prettier than mine was...


We walked around some more and went to an organic grocery store near my house that I've been wanting to go to for awhile, and then we all went and rested in their hotel for about an hour before dinner! We'd exhausted Luxembourg City, and ourselves! If we'd allotted more time/energy, it wouldn't have been terribly hard to take them the castle I'd gone to in the first few days here or some other interesting sites. I just hadn't planned to journey around the country and since they were only here for a day I wanted to do my favorite city-things with them! Definitely a good decision :)

Another plus of them coming is that they were able to bring these:

Birthday cake M&Ms from Alex's mom! 

This morning they headed off bright and early to Amsterdam, where they will spend a couple of days before heading back home! I can't believe that their trip has already come and gone...it felt sort of like Thanksgiving or Christmas; lots of build-up, anticipation, and planning and then suddenly poof! it's passed. I just can't believe that I've already been here for almost 10 weeks! Feels as those I just stepped off the plane...

We had a long journey today to arrive to Interlaken, Switzlerand - a city which revolves around skiing! I've never gone skiing but it's Alex's thing so he'll be skiing tomorrow and I'll be writing a midterm (they never seem to be over!). Saturday I'll do a learn-to-ski with 2 of our friends who will be joining us, and then we'll probably squeeze one activity in on Sunday and head back! More updates definitely to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment