Monday, May 13, 2013

First Day of Work!

Today...I went to work! It was definitely hectic but I got into some adventures. I drove to work with my mom and then walked down the street to my work...but not before spying on my mom (and Domo) at work!


After stopping at my first worksite, they had us transfer to their location at a different site. We travelled on a green trolley! The outside was cool but I liked the interior too. 


I got off of work early and came home for a quick spin, quick salad, and then rushed off to babysit. Quite a busy schedule of course! As usual there was still time to read my favorite blog (hungryrunnergirl.com). I loved Hungry Runner Girl's post today, which was called "9 ways to make this week a great running week."I love her positive tips and outlooks! I'm only cross-training (due to being on the brink of re-injuring my foot...just trying to complete the half-marathon on Sunday by this point) this week and I  really miss running! Anyways, HRG's pointers for a great running week are excellent ideas to keep in mind even when cross-training. Her tips on hydration, stretching, and sleep are great ideas to keep in mind for any athlete, especially in the week coming up on a big race or event. These are all pointers that I should probably take more seriously. I'm pretty good about sleep but I should really work on hydration and stretching. Due to my IT-band injury in November, I am supposed to be stretching and strengthening every day for about 45 minutes total...and I usually only spend about 10 minutes on this. My hips and glutes are my weak points and my form in running quickly deteriorates when I don't keep them strong and I tend to get hurt (this should be enough motivation to strengthen...but I never make enough time). This is important for any sport though.

One thing that's been on my mind in the days leading up to the half-marathon is whether or not to use music. I never ran with music much until I began running around the same two-mile loop at college, at which point music became a must. Now I really like listening to music for my long runs and designed a long-run playlist and was planning on using it for the half-marathon. I really think the motivating tunes help the miles fly by. I actually rarely listen to music except when running. I know HRG and other awesome, speedy, strong, and successful runners use music for their races but I wonder if I should just soak in the race experience without music? Especially for the first time? I think I'll probably end up bringing it as a security blanket but I may end up turning it off at some point if I just want to focus on my surroundings. Normally I listen at a very low volume anyways, so I can be alert, so I'm thinking it won't affect my race experience much. I'll definitely be deciding/thinking more about it and collecting other opinions during the next few days!




No comments:

Post a Comment