Sunday, May 26, 2013

New gear and Gatsby!

Today I went SHOPPING! I got a new short-sleeve technical shirt from GapFit and I got a couple pairs of Nike Tempo shorts. I of course had to model them straight away! I'm very particular about my athletic gear matching so you'll notice that the purple of my shirt matches the purple stripe in my shorts...might be a little picky of me... 


I also picked up a lot of other nice items in the crazy sales that were out and about today...it was well-worth the time and money spent! I'll be sure to model some of my new finds in future days.:)

My run today was really nice. The weather was just perfect. I've been finding that I like my compressions socks for things other than just compression...I'm not sure if they do much during my runs but they sure seem to help with recovery and above all, they keep plants/bugs/dirt off of my legs. I'm trying to get more into trail running so this is really awesome.

I've been skipping the use of my beloved Garmin during this week of running since I'm technically "off," or doing easy runs for the next couple of days while I continue to recover from the half-marathon. I planned not to run at all until this weekend but my body was just rarin' and ready to go on Wednesday, and I've been on four runs since the half-marathon. One was my Friday 5-miler which really was not a great run...everything was hurting...but other than that I've felt strong and on the road to recovery. I've been keeping the mileage under five this weekend, but may build it up during the week. I might start trying speed work at the end of next week, just to give it a shot (speed work won't be soon enough to help me in preparation for this up-coming 13.1, but it will be fun to see if I like it and will be something I hope to use in the future), and then plan to do an 8-miler next weekend which is two weeks before my second half-marathon. In the two weeks preceding the half-marathon, I'll do a traditional taper. 

I'm also working hard to find a bike to use so I can actually do the triathlon that I've got my eye on for August. I'll keep you updated on that...

I took some beautiful snapshots while I was stretching in the middle of my run! What a gorgeous day!



I went with my sister to see "The Great Gatsby" (finally) and I was absolutely blown away! I loved the film and when it's on DVD I can tell it's one of those movies that I'll want to watch endlessly. I just thought it was beautifully done and I really liked the way Baz used modern film techniques and technology/special effects and his own style in the movie. I liked the frequent--but not goofy--comedic relief that popped up frequently, and thought that the romance between Gatsby and Daisy was portrayed perfectly. The image that the audience is left with at the end of the film was also just how I felt after reading the book--F.Scott Fitzgerald's original point was maintained and I think he would have appreciated the film. It was phenomenal! I always tell people that even before I knew about the movie, when I first read the book, Leo DiCaprio was always how I envisioned Jay Gatsby...and alas, he was!!! He played the role perfectly. I was a bit worried due to the bad press/reviews that the film was receiving but I thought it hit the nail on the head. A+ work, five stars, the whole enchilada. I know what I'll be reading tonight!





No comments:

Post a Comment