Saturday, August 16, 2014

Alex's Favorite Pasta.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Alex's favorite pasta dish : spaghetti aglio e olio. I believe we first made this dish together circa 2009, when we began dating. Alex, the pasta connoisseur, will only eat spaghetti noodles if they are prepared this way. Otherwise, he's a penne guy all the way. I think this is a great, summery pasta dish that pairs well with most main courses and is yummy served warm or room temperature. I promised I would make this for him tonight and I will be eating a rice and veggies dish (GF).

We have always used THIS RECIPE from one of Ina Garten's cookbooks. Now we adapt it in our own way - a little different each time :)

Spaghetti aglio e olio has a translation that sums up the simplicity of the dish in four words : Garlic and oil spaghetti. 

Now when we make it, we typically make 2 servings, and Alex will eat them both. I'm still feeling great on a low to 0 gluten diet, but I definitely don't want to discourage Alex from eating gluten and getting the quantities of pasta and other awesome carbohydrates he wants needs and enjoys. Sometimes if he's feeling really ambitious, we make a whole pound of pasta. His abilities are truly impressive.

Start by boiling the water for the pasta in a large pot. After draining the pasta, set aside 1-1.5 cups of pasta water.

You can also start heating the olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium-low heat. Meanwhile, chop up some parsley and about 4 cloves of garlic. You can always add some white onion or other flavorful crunchy veggies that you enjoy.

Add the garlic to the pan of olive oil and let it cook - but don't let it get too brown! Now, take the pasta water and add it to the sauce pan, allowing the mixture to simmer for about 5 ish minutes. Then, add in the pasta and toss off the heat. Stir in the parsley and lots of parmesan cheese.


VoilĂ ! A delicious, easy, and simple pasta meal :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
Three things that made me happy yesterday :

1. My sister helped give me a "manicure"... I like shiny glitter!

2. Before every semester at college, I go shopping at Trader Joe's (my university isn't nearby to one) and pick out a favorite treat/essential. Yesterday I picked this :

3. I found these FINALLY at the normal grocery store... I first saw an ad for these on Facebook while I was living in Europe... I've been on the search ever since! These will also be coming to school with me :)

I try to eat ^ those sparingly those because they have so many artificial ingredients and are pretty bad for your teeth because of all the sugar... hopefully they last for quite awhile!

Now just gearing up for my Sunday long run... Going to spend today hydrating and resting as preparation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment