Saturday, August 2, 2014

How I improved my running.

Recently I have been putting a lot of thought and focus into my running and wanted to write a little bit about the things that I think have helped me become a better runner and then also slowly become a speedier runner. These little things make running more enjoyable and fun to me and have helped me transition from the thought that running is a "boring cross-training exercise that rowers have to do to help their cardio" to enjoying running as a competitive sport and something that I can challenge myself in. I've recently brought my half-marathon time down 15 minutes from my very first half-marathon race, and there are a few things that really helped me shave off time and bring my running to the next ~level~.

I knew that I would have a lot of running ahead of me when I arrived back home in the United States in May, so I while I was still living in Europe, I ordered some "essentials" to my house in order to get back into running with a new vigor once my marathon training began this summer. Here's a list of the things that helped me personally - they're not for everyone (and I'm not a professional trainer or nutritionist) but if you're looking for something to spice up your running life, inspire you to get back out on the roads, or would like motivation as a new runner, chances are you might be able to find it here :)


  • An iPod Shuffle. Since I run alone 99.9% of the time, I really enjoy listening to motivating music while I go. I invested in one of these and it has been a Godsend. I've tried running with those big arm-strappy thingies, but - and this completely embarrasses me to admit - they are all to big for my toothpick arms. They end up sliding around, chafing, and being uncomfortable in so many ways. I clip this tiny thing onto my sports bra or the waistband of my shorts and that's all I have to worry about! I use it solely for running and have only my "running songs" on it. I only listen to these songs when I am doing speed work or a long run and not during easy runs or other workouts, so hopefully during the marathon I will hear them and my brain will know it's time to go FAST.

  • Taking days off. This is SO important! For years I would go through phases of doing some sort of physical activity (rowing, running, weights) 7 days a week with no break. Later, I learned how important it is to REST. I strictly take at least 1 full rest day per week no matter what my training schedule is or what I'm preparing for. I know that I need this time for my body to heal and recover from all of my activity. Right now I'm in the middle of marathon training, and I actually only run 5 days per week. In the other two days, I may use ONE of those days to cross-train (rowing and cycling, especially as I prepare for the 50-mile ride that I have in one week!), and I use the other day to take completely OFF. Usually on that off day I try to do as little as possible and leave lots of time to read books and put my feet up if I can :) Skipping rest days leaves the body vulnerable to injury and at the very least will leave you completely overworked, which prohibits you from reaching maximum performance during your workouts. Now, I worship my rest days!
  • Finding the perfect shoe is very important! It took me awhile to nail this one down, but eventually I did find a shoe that works great for me. Like a lot of people, I need ample support and stability when I run, and I plan to keep using the ASICS GT 2000 II for all of the foreseeable future. Without having a shoe that fits you properly or meets your physiological needs as a runner, you could find yourself sidelined with an injury. Now I just order these online (for a cheaper price) but for your first few pairs of running shoes, head into a running speciality store and have them fit you properly! They'll watch you run, analyze your gait, and let you try out a few different pairs. In this case, the investment is so worth it. After you find the shoe you like, make sure to replace it once they wear out. For most people, that happens after about 300-500 miles, or 4 to 6 months of running. My magic number falls right between 350 to 400 miles, and then my body starts telling me it's time for a new pair. Typically I'll feel soreness or tightness in my hips or knees and that's how I know it's time to retire that pair of shoes and move on!


  • Finding the proper sports bra is just as important. Sorry gentlemen... you might want to skip to the next bullet ;) I found my favorite sports bras prior to running my very first half marathon... this made a world of difference for my running! I am not particularly...endowed in this area but even so, having everything stay firmly in place while running made a surprising difference in how comfortable I was while running. I have found my two favorite bras HERE and HERE. Like running shoes, these can also be expensive and need replacing over time, but it's important to treat your breasts gently when it comes to running. Without a proper sports bra, you can do a lot of damage to your breast tissue from the up-and-down motion of running - and no one needs that.
  • Stretch and strengthen! I have a whole new appreciation for stretching, as well as for strength-training my weak parts (glutes). Stretching has helped me enormously with injury-prevention, which is obviously high up on the list of priorities for any athlete. I spend about 10-15 minutes daily stretching - even if it's an "off" day. Cross training also really helps to work those parts that might be weaker and need more attention. For me, cycling and rowing have been enormously important to my running this summer. Cycling helps my glutes, rowing strengthens my core. Both are very important for running. I talk about my General Strength and Mobility exercises and stretching exercises HERE. Also, I know I talk about this a lot but 8-minute abs really help my core - you can watch the video HERE (wear '90s-themed workout gear for best results...;)  Oh, and don't forget to foam roll if you need it :) (Depending on how much running you are doing, you may or may not need one of these, and if you do need it you've probably been acquainted with one, but I have had an ongoing love-affair with my own after my IT-band issues 2 years ago.) 
  • Buy some (weather appropriate) running gear that makes you feel fit, strong, and CONFIDENT. First of all, it's very important to have moisture-wicking materials to work out in so that you don't chafe and so that your sweat (or the rain, or whatever) doesn't weigh you down too much. I used to run in old regatta t-shirts all the time and it was somewhat life-changing when I invested in wicking material that breathes and doesn't stay too soggy. Technology rocks! Make sure to have light, cool layers for the summer when it's going to be hot out. Also, I like to feel good about how I look when I am going running. I'm definitely NOT of the less-is-more school of thought and would not be comfortable running without a shirt on (but if you are, that's great!). For me, I feel strong and confident when I am wear running shorts that I'm comfortable in and that don't ride up, a brightly colored t-shirt or tank (or SOCKS!) and my running hat to keep my hair out of my eyes. I also have rubber hair bands that stay in place so I don't have to mess around with it while I'm in the middle of the run. I know people that like to run topless, in running skirts, only in running tights, you name it, but it's important to do what makes YOU feel confident. Finding athletic clothes that I feel good in helped with my performance more than I ever would have expected! Before a long run, I always lay everything out the night before so I know that my favorite clothes than make me feel comfy and strong are clean and ready to put on right away. If you doubt me - try it out! Put on that running outfit that makes you feel HOT and see how it goes!
  • Eat right, hydrate, and get enough sleep. Over the past several months I've spent a lot of time really figuring out what foods work best for my body. During marathon training, I've really found that eating cleaner, more wholesome foods make me feel and perform better (though I really crave and sometimes miss junk food, it makes me feel and perform not-so-good). Running demands a lot of your body. You need to put good stuff in if you want to get good stuff out. Make sure to get the vitamins and nutrients you need everyday, with a good ratio of proteins, carbohydrates, and fiber. As you run more, you will also need to drink more water to get the best performance. I carry a water bottle all day every day and I know it definitely helps me recover more quickly from hard workouts. SLEEP is another big one. When you're working hard and demanding a lot from your body - whether that's through running or other physical activity - your body will require additional sleep to heal, recover, and reboot from that activity. HERE is a great article on why your body needs that extra sleep after hard workouts. 
These are just a few of the things that have worked really well for me and that I credit with helping my running performance improve. Again, I'm not a professional and these are my own opinions, which I have based off of things that I've read over the years and of course from my experience and lots of the athletes I've talked to, but I really hope they can help some of you when you get out there and get moving :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm also training for Chicago - it will be my second full marathon, but I'm nowhere as fast as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Good luck during the second half of your training for Chicago - you're going to rock the marathon :)

      Delete