Thursday, August 28, 2014

Things Lately.


Have you ever tried one of these? I'm really enjoying them lately!

I finally received my yearbook from our semester abroad and I'm still really excited that we crushed the competition on this one... ;)

My hip has still been inflamed, and I took Monday and Wednesday completely off (other than all my bike riding and walking back and forth from campus, and I'm about a mile-and-a-half so that makes a good workout in itself!). I did about 45 minutes of spinning on Tuesday, and that felt okay, plus a 30-minute foam rolling class, which maybe helped. Today I knew I had to take action since I'm still not ready to run, and I don't want all my fitness and hard work over the past several months to just disappear. I did 36 (yes, 36!) minutes of pool running early this morning before the elderly ladies' aqua Zumba took over the pool. Pool running started out slow and boring but I liked it more and more as I went along. 

I brought my cap and goggles in case I needed them to do laps but the awesome thing about pool running is that you never have to put your face in :) 

So my hair and face stayed dry and chlorine-free!

I first learned about pool running as cross-training (or as a replacement for real running when you have an injury) when Hungry Runner Girl started using it as a tool when she got injured before her marathon. She made great instructional posts herehere, and here which I've consulted to make sure I'm doing it properly! Before I saw her doing that, I thought it was something only elderly people do! Now that I've done it, I can say that it's a GREAT workout, although not as great a real running.

Hopefully I'll get to try out the elliptical in a few minutes and see if that feels okay - just to get some extra cardio! I'll be back on the roads in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment