Sunday, July 20, 2014

Best jam ever & Running Talk Down.

In the summertime, my mom signs us up to get locally grown produce. We go pick it up once a week and get lots of yummy things, like broccoli, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, and other similar things. This week, we signed up to get fresh eggs and blackberry jam. Ever since, Europe, I've been semi-obsessed with jam. 

Best meal ever.

This fresh blackberry jam is the most delicious jam I've tasted!

Running Talk Down From 07/14 to 07/20

This week in the running world...

Monday : Off
Tuesday : Easy 7.3 miles, GSM
Wednesday : Easy 7 miles, 8-minute abs, GSM
Thursday : GSM, 8-minute abs, 15.25-mile bike ride, water skiing (that's a workout, right? ;)
Friday : Easy 6 miles, GSM
Saturday : Easy 4.5 miles, GSM, 8-minute abs
Sunday : 12.2 miles, GSM

Weekly total : 37

As I mentioned earlier in the week, this was the first week that I had to make alterations to my running schedule. I was having some IT-band inflammation so I skipped the speed work and altered my mileage a tiny bit to let it rest. This was all precautionary because I really don't want to be injured. I think the fact of the matter is that during marathon training, stuff is going to hurt. Marathon training is clearly a very difficult thing to put your body through - especially, I think, for the first time. There will be persistent aches and pains. The trick is to know how to respond to those aches and pains and how to listen to your body. I got lots of time with my feet up, did lots of precautionary icing, took an epsom salt bath, and STRETCHED! I stretched at least twice a day and foam rolled quite a bit to help my IT-band loosen back up. Foam rolling my glutes helped in particular - I think the hill climbs during my bike ride with my dad worked some new muscles there.

My 12-miler today felt pretty good. I definitely should've gotten out even earlier to beat the heat at the end but it wasn't too bad. I stopped 1 mile in and stretched and did some GSM exercises. This was a good idea. I did the final 3 miles at marathon pace or faster. Didn't feel the IT-band at all.

So, as you could see in the picture, I wore my new shoes, which really, really seemed to help all parts of my body feel better. Really glad I got those out today, finally! I had been delaying it because I wanted to maximize the miles on my old shoes... these are a big investment for me!

I am now 4 weeks into my marathon training plan and have 12 weeks to go... Only 3 months guys!  As in... I'm running a marathon in 3 months???

No comments:

Post a Comment