Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cycling Solo, First Marathon "Workout."

Another crazy week at work, but it's flying by! The temps were soaring at the beginning of the week, but things are finally cooling down now and I think if I get my long run in early on the weekend it should feel great :)

Yesterday I was my "cross-training/off" day and I did 25 minutes of medium-effort rowing before work, and then went on a bike ride on my road bike after work. This was my first solo ride on this road bike and I'm pleased to say I made it out alive! I did about 6 miles in 25 minutes, making for a 50-minute total workout yesterday. 6 miles on the bike seems like about an inch, but I didn't want to go too far because I knew I had a hard run today, and because I don't feel that safe to go too far alone on the bike. I still need to learn how to change a flat tire and put the chain back on by myself... but this is a good start. Cycling makes me nervous to do alone because it can be extremely dangerous and life-threatening on the roads (probably the most out of all my activities). Not only do I risk getting smushed by a car, but it's also a risk that I might just wipe out on my own and get severely injured! I always wear my Road ID and I've started using the Road ID app to send "e-crumbs" to my parents and sister. This way, they can track where I am and it even will send text alerts if I stop moving for an unusual amount of time. The app just became available for Android which is great for my dad too!

Rocked my spiffy new lightweight helmet from my dad :)

I just need to figure out how to carry the bike without getting all greasy like a total amateur...

Today's run was a 1-mile warmup, 4 miles at marathon pace, and 1.75-mile cool down for a total of 6.75 miles. My legs felt like lead weights from yesterday's tough cross-training workout... well-planned, Katie! Once I got into it though I had no trouble keeping my goal marathon pace (well-below,  in fact!). Got home feeling accomplished and sweaty.

Made a couple necessary trips to one of my favorite places this week :)

Getting this sweet note from my sweet friend made my day! She went to Levanto, Italy - it looks amazing! I miss Europe.

And just because...
Seems like a good plan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment