Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lots of random stuff from my brain.

Well this is exciting.
But this is downright scary... less than a hundred days??

Going to the Chicago Marathon still feels too good to be true... I keep holding my breath about it and crossing my fingers that I don't get injured and stay healthy so that I can truly make it there! I am so lucky :)

I love this: 
That's something I would always tell myself all through high school rowing, which was my first exposure to being an athlete. Looking back to my first 1-2 years of rowing, I remember being so shocked by the pain that working my body really hard could make me feel. By the third and fourth year, though, I didn't see it as pain anymore...I saw it as hard work. I was happily addicted to constantly searching for the new Personal Record, feeling accomplished, and of course, winning :) But to get to that point, I had to put mind over matter and learn the importance of mental toughness as well. As I work hard to build miles and stay speedy during marathon training, this mental toughness is something I need to apply to running as well.
----------------------------------------------
The holiday weekend seems to have whirled by! I slept in on Friday... it was a rest day and rest I did! I read a few different books, watched Say Yes to the Dress on Netflix, made sweet potato sliders, and went to bed at early o'clock because I knew I had a busy weekend ahead of me. No fireworks for me on the 4th!

On Saturday, I woke up at 6:00AM and headed out for an easy 5 miles on the trails in the Metro Parks. It's a good day when this is your running outfit.
I hurried home, threw my bike in the car, and drove out to meet my dad for a bike ride (he was already riding out there!). We did 12 miles together in about 47 minutes. Now I just have to be able to ride 5 times that in 5 weeks...

When I got home I showered and changed and then took a (very necessary) 40-minute nap and then headed out to meet my two lovely roommates so we could shop for apartment stuff! Move-in is in just 8 weeks! I remember being 12 years old and shopping at Sur la Table with my mom and thinking, "I can't wait until I get to shop for this stuff for my very own apartment!" Now that day is here! We started at Crate&Barrel and quickly relocated to Target (more variety and more affordable :) We stocked up on plates, kitchen utensils, shower curtains, and some deco... I'll have to make a post just about our apartment stuff later :)

Love Target's wall decals!

We stopped for a bite to eat at Piada, where they are now serving fresh salads! I LOVED this spinach/romaine salad with sun dried tomatoes and white beans - those are my new favorite salad topping. Will have to keep this in mind when I have to be self-sufficient and go to the grocery store for my food in two months!
I hurried home again and then my family headed to Blossom Music Center for the first night of the Cleveland Orchestra! I passed for under 18 and got in for free (ha!). 

I read until it got dark...

My favorite part of this event every year is the fireworks at the end! Got my firework fix a day late.
We didn't get home until midnight but I was up early again at 6:30 to get my 10-mile long run in early! My run felt great - like kind of "knock-on-wood" good for being 10 miles.

The reason I had to go early was because we had an appointment...to go ZIP LINING! My family decided to all go together as a fun way to celebrate my sister's 18th birthday. We headed to a location about 2 hours away from us - Tree Frog Canopy Tours. I ended up really liking it and had a great time! We were in the trees for 2.5 hours and the zip lines got longer and steeper as we progressed. I loved zip lining but I REALLY loved repelling and just hanging out in trees for 2.5 hours. Definitely a cool experience.

It's a commonly known fact that the Harris women are incapable of taking a picture with normal facial expressions.


Go, Mom!

All in all, a great, BUSY weekend! I will be resting as much as possible tomorrow after work and doubt that I will be able to stay up past 9PM tonight. Happy (late) 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment