Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review : Run Don't Walk.

Recently I read a great book that I found sort of randomly at the library. I usually go to the library several times per week and love to spend time just browsing. This book was in the "new non-fiction section," and I picked it out not knowing what it was really about. Ended up loving it!

Run Don't Walk is the only memoir that I've ever read by a physical therapist, and I found it extremely interesting. The story chronicles a few years in the life of Adele, certified physical therapist at the original Walter Reed Memorial Hospital in Washington DC - which has since closed, but was the oldest military hospital in our country. 

Personally, I was immediately connected to the story in several ways. The story is about Adele's work with severely wounded (and typically amputee) veterans during some of our country's bloodiest years in Iraq. One summer a few years ago, I worked in the local Veterans' Hospital as a volunteer. Obviously Adele's experience was much more personal and deep in general, but some of her  experiences and interactions in that environment  sounded familiar or relatable to me. Also I felt I understood the patience she must have had as a physical therapist... at one point I had to rehab my IT-band for about 10 weeks... that is definitely NOTHING like being an amputee but I did get very familiar with the PT office and I did see several amputees come in and out of the office during my time there. I've always been interested in physical therapy and hearing the details of Adele's work really intrigued me.

I think a lot of us have read about the effects of other wars, particularly the World Wars, on our soldiers. However, since the war in the Middle East is only just winding down, I personally didn't feel that exposed to its aftermath on American soldiers. Adele's book gently exposes us to this, matter-of-factly explaining the hurdles they must overcome back at home. This really helped me to gain perspective and appreciation for the men that have served for us. Two of the main figures that she wrote about were under 22 years old and had already served and came home as double amputees. I had never put much thought into it, but I can't imagine going through that at my age... or ever. 

This may seem surprising considering the topic, but the entire book is filled with comic relief and Adele's personal funny stories and blunders. I never felt "depressed" or downtrodden by reading the book, though it did open my eyes to the difficulty of returning from the Middle East. In the end, Adele positively concludes that she is pleased with the difference that she is able to make, one soldier at a time. I think this is a book that anyone can enjoy and take something away from - highly recommend :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment