Sunday, June 1, 2014

5 Foods!

This might be my favorite day from the 10-Day You Challenge. I like to talk about food. 

1. Peanut butter. If you didn't expect this to be #1 on my list... you should get to know me better :) I'm obsessed with PB and I swear I can incorporate into any of my meals and make something delicious out of it. For me it's a good source of healthy (or not-so-healthy, depending on the kind) fats and protein.

2. Soups. As you've probably seen if you've looked under my recipes tab, I LOVE to cook soups. It's a great, warm way to get all of your veggies. You can stir in a grain (rice or faro) and have a wholesome meal out of a soup (or even better,  a thick stew). Keep the pot in your fridge during the week and it will last; all you have to do is stick it back on the stove! Whoever invented soup is a smartie. Plus, they go great with stuff like wraps, salads, etc. 

3. Cupcakes. They're smaller than a whole cake, which means you can personalize them as far as design and flavor...and sample lots of different kinds :) Also, you can pile them high with the most important part, frosting! Cupcakes are adorable and they're one of my favorite things to bake and decorate. 

4. Broccoli. One of my favorite ways to get all my nutrients is broccoli. It's rich in so many vitamins and so versatile. You can stir it into soup, roast it, cook it on the stove in olive oil, chop it up and eat it raw with some yummy ranch dressing, and so many other things. Since I have some dietary limitations, I've had to learn to be flexible with my favorite foods and that's why I'm a vegetable nerd and love broccoli. 
Alex wanted to kill me when I made him take this photo of me with my broccoli in Amsterdam:



5. Sweet potatoes. Sort of like with broccoli, I love the versatility of sweet potatoes. You can even cook them in the microwave and they're just as delicious! They're a good source of fiber and other vitamins, turn into great fries, and are better for you than normal potatoes. Let us not forget my "sweet potato selfie" :

--------------------------------------------
The last few days have been a whirlwind. On Friday, I woke up early, did my rowing workout, and rushed to shower, get to the grocery store, and then to lunch to catch up with my girlfriends from my high school rowing team before work. I worked into the evening and then joined my fam to go to the Jack Johnson concert (he was great :). We got back at 12AM - earlier than expected - and I was up again at 6AM to head back to work! My workday ended at 5PM and then I headed on to do some babysitting until about 12:30AM. This morning I woke up early again and was reunited with the Cuyahoga, this time expecting to be a coxswain... In the end due to someone not showing up and logistics, I ended up rowing! 

So good to be back here.

Rowing for the first time since October made my hands a teeny bit tender so I'm going to hold off on erging for a few days so I don't tear them up all at once. I still have calluses built up from the 6 years of rowing that I have under my belt, but I want to slowly add more rather than have bloody, stinging hands for a week!

Headed out for a sweaty, afternoon run and 8-minute abs later on. Temps hit 81 here...  Not a lot of runners out at that hour of a hot day but I like the warmth and the sweat :) I guess it's officially summer weather! Just in time for June!

After such a busy several days I'm not sure what I'll do with my day off tomorrow... but I'm sure I'll think of something!

No comments:

Post a Comment