Sunday, June 22, 2014

Race Recap : A Most Excellent Race :)

I am very happy with how today went! I wasn't sure if this would just be a "fun 5k" or a "5k where I tried hard to get a new PR" and after I got going, it turned out to be the latter.  I woke up in a competitive mood and put on my special outfit which I'd laid out the night before, true to form :)

I ate breakfast at 7 (pb and banana on toast w/ coffee of course) and at 0800h headed over to the race (about ~7-minute walk from my house) so I could register and stretch and then warm-up. My mom met me about 20 minutes before the start and I did a 0.5 mile warm-up.

My short-shorts help me runs extra speedy :)
I pretty much held my place throughout the race. I finished two miles with an official time of 13:15 and the last mile headed uphill, which didn't help my dying energy. I still finished with a Garmin time of 21:25  :) Yay for sub-7 minute mile-pace! I was the first girl in my age group and 3rd or 4th woman overall... we are waiting for official results.
I think I owe this PR to taking it easy the last few days, lots of stretching, and being sure to HYDRATE yesterday. That's always important. 

After the race I did a 1.5-mile cool down, which put me at a running total of about 5 miles today. At home I stretched for awhile and relaxed, and then went on an easy 7-mile bike ride with my dad. We just want to keep getting me used to the road bike. I only had one bad thing happen, when I fell in a pothole (and knocked off my chain... these bikes are very delicate!). Riding a road bike is really fun though; it makes you feel powerful and speedy like you are flying along. Kind of like rowing!

Later activities today included : eating ice cream, lying around reading, and lots of hydrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment