Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ninja running and overtraining.

Sometimes when you go running, you just have to be a ninja.

Except for your feet.

Yesterday HRG's blog had some interesting light to shed on overtraining. She found an old article that talked about the symptoms and risks of overtraining and I definitely was intrigued. I knew that my 30-mile week a few weeks ago was a big leap for me (20 is usually my sweet spot, even in half-marathon training. This is due to the fact that I'm also a rower and cross train quite a lot for running). Someday I'd like to amp up the miles, but if I want to make it a habit I have to do so slowly. Nutrition is also important. When I get stressed, sometimes my nutritional efforts fall towards the weigh side and this can definitely have an effect on the quality of my runs. Are you overtraining?



Anyways, I just thought that was interesting because now that I know how big of an effect overtraining can have, I won't let it get me down if I think I'm working really hard and still struggling to hit my goal paces. Chances are I'm overdoing it!

--------------------------------------------------------

In other news, yesterday I did a 30-minute easy run. Today I'm looking at doing 5-8 miles…not sure yet. I'll have to decide when I see how I feel out there. Sad news is: I lost my gloves that I use for running :( So I have to definitely buy some more before I head out today or else it'll take an hour to get the use of my hands back.

On my running wish list…


It's a flip belt. You stick your keys, chomps, credit card, etc. in there, put it around your waist, and flip it over and bam! Plus, pink is awesome. Nothing will fall out and it won't be annoyingly stuck bouncing in your pockets or your waistband or your sports bra. Something like this looks so awesome I would probably wear it all the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment