Monday, May 20, 2013

A day of R&R.

Today I did a lot of relaxing on Alex's family's new speed boat. We (Alex, his friend, and Alex's dad) headed out to Lake Erie to just sit and relax (which I soon learned means "go really really fast for awhile") and enjoy the view. It was a GORGEOUS day and I was sure to lather up with lots of sunscreen!

 

We sped around the lake for awhile and admired several sailboats and life houses, and then we returned  shore to pick up Alex's mom. We passed the start and finish of the Cleveland Marathon. We sped over to the mouth of the Cuyahoga at that point, and motored into the opening that I'd rowed out of so many times. We followed the river around its many bends and past our boathouse, and up to Collision bend (where we were stopped because a freighter was going through). We saw many rowers and eights out, along with a few fours and singles shells. I was sad not to be among them. It felt weird to be with the "enemy" (a pleasure craft). I saw many familiar faces among the coaching staff that was out. The experience pushed me to decide that I am going to continue on with my endeavor to begin coaching this summer. I had been planning to do that, and then sort of backed off of that plan because I was having (mostly internal conflict) with my high school team. I was told that they didn't want me around so much. Mostly, I think that the teams leaders are afraid of more power, and the possibility of losing theirs. It was enough to make me disinterested in coming back to help. I think I need not to be a baby though; I need to toughen up and do what is really right and do what makes me happy as well. So as soon as work settles down, I'll be working on coaching.

We docked and climbed up to a restaurant that looks upon one of the bridges I've rowed under hundreds of times!!! I've never gotten a picture from this angle before!

After dinner we headed back to the launch and called it a day. I think this was a great way to distract ourselves from the post-marathon pain! It was a lot of fun and I always enjoy spending time with Alex's family.

Little goslings going for a swim with mom and dad as the sun was setting.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous view! Sounds like a good day to me!! (I tried posting this once and then it deleted it!! So I hope it posts now :p)

    ReplyDelete