Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Promises, a challenge, and more on form.

Important PSA: now everyone can know that my hair is NOT too short to have a bun!



Today Alex celebrated his birthday in Israel. I'm really jealous of his trip there--Israel's been in my top three places to visit since the beginning of high school, at least. I decided I need to live vicariously through one of my favorite films, "Promises,"in order to properly celebrate Alex's trip and birthday. "Promises" is a documentary that travels with children in Israel/Palestine over the course of about 10 years and monitors and investigates their evolving (or not-so-evolving) views on Israeli/Palestinian relations and culture.



I think this film is extraordinarily well-made and is very touching. Though the director/film-maker BZ is Jewish and grew up in Israel, I think he portrays a very fair and well-rounded view of a very sensitive and easily-biased subject. One can get a sense of both Israeli and Palestinian culture and come to see the opinions of each side of the conflict coming from real people who have endured real hardships--and even more candidly--children. So this is how I'm channeling Alex as his trip winds down!

Runner's World is having a Summer Run Streak challenge--you have run at least a mile a day between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July! 


This sounds like a good challenge to me...I'm honestly not sure if I can make it! A mile might not seem like much, but on my off days, I like to reallllly be OFF. It will also be interesting to see if I can even walk--let alone run--a mile after my second half-marathon (especially if the soreness afterwards is anything like my first!). Despite all this, I will be challenging myself!

Tomorrow I'm getting up early to beat the heat during my run...should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment