Saturday, May 18, 2013

Down to the wire!

I'm pretty jittery for tomorrow. I am getting everything ready...I've known what I'll wear for weeks (had to figure that out to make sure it was comfy!) and had my race-plan down since before I even began preparing for the Half-Marathon. I am SO excited. I've spent today trying not to think too much about tomorrow...but there are a few things little that I've had to make sure I get done in order to have smooth sailing tomorrow. Here's my "Half-Marathon To-do List":

  • Charge Garmin!!!
  • Make pasta for dinner
  • Charge/update iPod
  • Hydrate thoroughly
  • Lay out clothes for tomorrow
    • Tank/running bra/running socks/running shorts/hat/sunglasses/SHOES/Garmin/normal stopwatch 
  • Prepare post-race bag for Mom to carry
I'm trying to make sure everything's ready to go so that when I wake up at 4:50AM tomorrow I don't have to think about what I need. We have to be at the site by 6:00 to make sure we're all parked and everything's ready down at the start of the race, too, and I HATE to rush to get out of the house in the morning so I am getting up early enough to take my time and go through my normal morning routine (breakfast, email, newspaper, etc) before leaving in the morning. I know that this will keep me nice and calm. 

Wasn't kidding about laying clothes out!


Yesterday was actually the more important night for pasta/carbs, so I'm just eating leftovers to reinforce that good carb power tonight! I've also been hydrating pretty well throughout the week, though today I was sure to have two mini-bottles of Gatorade to make sure I have plenty of electrolytes in this hot weather. 

Hydration is happiness!


My post-race bag will probably have a clean t-shirt, deodorant, dry socks, extra shoes, lip-balm (hate dry lips!!!) and a bag-up Gatorade and probably some ice-water (which won't be so icey by the time I get it). I might just throw in some extra shorts too, just in case (five years of rowing and attending regattas has taught me the benefits of being well-prepared at events). I know the post-race people will provide water/Gatorade/chocolate milk but usually you can't take everything because you can't hold everything, and if I take something it will be chocolate milk (my fave) and I'll need other forms of hydration afterwards.

I found this video online and I know it's an ad but I think it's really well done and certainly motivating. I thought it was suitable that I found it today, and wanted to share it!


So at about 5:30 tomorrow morning, we'll depart and head off to my first-ever distance race! Can't wait for this 13.1, and I really hope it goes well. My heart already starts pounding when I think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment