Monday, December 16, 2013

Race Re-Cap: Santa Hustle Half-Marathon!

My race re-cap for yesterday's Santa Hustle Half is long due... I was so exhausted yesterday that I just didn't get around to writing it!

Basically, it was a fun experience. Mentally and training-wise, I had been so ready to do a speedy PR, but yesterday it just was not going to happen. For a couple of reasons.

First of all, not sure if you got the memo but this is what it looks like here. At the half-marathon it was still coming down, combined with temps around the 20s and extremely high winds.

In case you didn't know (which I didn't really, until I actually had to do it!) it is EXTREMELY hard to run 13.1 miles in snow, ice, and a generally thick slush. Sometimes just pushing through the winds was a challenge in itself to keep going. After about 1.5 miles I fell off my desired pace. By mile 4, I realized that my attitude needed to change - this had to be for fun, not for competition. 

Throughout the race, I kept wishing that the race coordinators had been able to do a better job salting and clearing the snow. My calves and shins were killing me, and even my feet ached. My running stride was totally altered. In hindsight, I know that I really knew what I was signing up for by registering for a December half-marathon on Lake Erie - it was not going to be pretty! My knee (which has been worn out from overtraining and not doing my strengthening exercises - bad me!) began aching around mile 3 and "popped" at about mile 7. If I'd wanted to completely prevent further injury and drop the race, there were no medics or volunteers for sometimes a mile or so at a time. In hindsight, I'm actually glad because I did not really need to consider dropping the race. I know that I really wouldn't have, either - but during the race I felt sore and alone and wanted to see options. 

I'm glad I powered through and with a week or two completely off, my knee should be more than alright.  I ran with a friend until about mile 11, which made it fun, and when I just couldn't fight it any longer I let her speed up without me. I'm definitely very happy I finished the race - my fourth half.

I've never been so excited to finish a race. When I finally was done and took the pressure off my knee and stretched out, I felt much better, physically and mentally. This was the first time I did a half-marathon "with" Alex (he zoomed ahead with his other speedy buddy). We hung out with friends and got lunch afterwards. Getting warm was the best feeling ever! 

I didn't get any good pictures from the race - this was my first half-marathon without my mom - which was fine; I'm glad she was safe and warm at home instead!

However, I did get this photo of a...reindeer! He was at the race cheering us all on.


I did of course, LOVE the race package...

...Santa beard and all...

And the finisher's medal was a totally cool one!

My not-dying throughout the race was due largely in thanks to the Illuminite gloves and hat that I purchased the day before. My mom contributed to buying them and I am SO thankful to have had them. My hands almost always heat up during a race and I take my gloves off, and during the course of the race yesterday I did take these cozy gloves off a couple of times - only to replace them because of the biting cold. They even have reflective dots on the backs of them to help you be visible in the dark. These are by far the best gloves I've run in - not those cheap ones from the dollar store that get cold and wet!


Mostly I'm an ear-warmer girl because I always run in a bun or pony-tail, but I knew that the race weather would call for something a little more powerful. I got this men's hat with the gloves and loved the fleecy interior. The exterior is pretty much all-weather proof - though the man at the running store said that a driving rain would probably go through the seams. It worked perfectly for the snow and my ears were not cold one bit!

When I got home I warmed up and decorated our beautiful Christmas tree. One of my favorite traditions and it turned out so pretty, as always!

After the race I made sure to enjoy some of Trader Joe's yummy chocolate cookies...

Hopefully I find a few race pictures in the next few days and can share them later in the week! 









No comments:

Post a Comment