Monday, January 6, 2014

Book Review: Flat Water Tuesday (& sub-zero temps).

Yesterday I had to babysit which meant once the kids were in bed...power-reading time! Remember the rowing book Flat Water Tuesday that I mentioned on Saturday? (I just about jumped up and down when I found this in the library wedged on the bottom shelf in the new books section.) Well, I plowed through all 353 pages of that in the four hours I had during babysitting while the kiddos were asleep. It.Was.Good. 


The book talks a lot about rowing in a way that I figure might be difficult to understand if you're not at least quasi-familiar with the sport. However, it flip-flops back and forth between the main character's experience while rowing in high school and his present-day non-rowing life. So, I think it can appeal to all readers - but especially rowers because when has there EVER been a rowing novel out there???

The book was a little dark - some not-so-good things happen and it is very sad. If you're like me and start to feel like all books, movies, and dreams are real, you might want to break it up a little bit so as not to feel heavy-hearted. (Fortunately I opened a new book right after finishing and that cheered me right up.)

After so long of not being on the water (and even longer since I've been able to rowing on a competitive team) reading this made me miss rowing so much! Even the bad parts, like erging all winter and like losing an important race by 1 second after months of hard work.

Definitely, definitely READ THIS if rowing is or was at one point important to you. SO GOOD and it will read quickly even if you aren't a books-fanatic like me :)

------------------------------------

Today was a day off. This was partially because it was between -10 and 3 degrees today and also because it's been about 2.5 weeks (or 3?) since I've done a day off. I also slept in v. late. 

Today's activities included errands, sister time, and practicing packing (i.e. packing everything and unpacking everything) for when I go to Luxembourg in 2 weeks. 

When we did errands it was 0.


I also picked out the cake I'm going to make for my birthday cake


For me the most fun in this is actually getting to bake this. I love spending the day cooking :)

Now I am having a movie night with my mom. We're watching "The Way Way Back." It's very good.

I think I'll have to skip the running again tomorrow (-4*) but hopefully some spinning or even better hot yoga if I can snag a ride!

Stay warm!




No comments:

Post a Comment