Monday, January 27, 2014

Forgotten pants and Alex's Movie Digest.

MOIEN everybody! Today started at 5:45AM (I was talking to my friends in the United States when I woke up...they had not gone to bed yet!) and we hopped on the train to get to the Chateau for our first day of classes. Somehow waking up early doesn't feel too bad...I remember the dread of waking up for 6AM rowing, but this is not the same at all!

Last week on the plane Alex discovered the "movie digest" feature on my camera... in this setting it takes a few seconds of video before you snap each photo! Loved how it turned out, hopefully we can get memorable clips like this for all of our little trips!


On Mondays I don't have a class until 1:45 after lunch, but part of my reason for coming so early to the Chateau was so I could run around while I'm here! I really want to do a run to familiarize with Differdange, which is where the Chateau is. I live in the city and am getting well-acclimated there but here is a little more unfamiliar still.

I lugged everything here to run and was really looking forward to it... but realized when I got here that I forgot PANTS! I nearly cried, especially after dragging my running shoes and warm clothes here for running. I briefly contemplated running in my jeans but that was going to be a bit much, even for me. I'm still bummed. :( Thanks for listening to my venting.

On the bright side, I got to leave my bulky running shoes in a locker and convinced Alex to run with me between classes tomorrow. YAYAYAYAYAY. We are going to try to search for the local hiking trails.

When we went to Cactus last week I picked up a boca prize for today... they sell my fave Starbucks treat on the shelf here! Coffee here is MUCH smaller...this is probably ½ - ¾ of the size of a tall Starbucks drink. The coffee cups in cafés here are half the size of ones in America. People here value taking their time and their rest - and end up needing way less caffeine! 

My special "first day" treat :)

On my walk today I found a gnome. 

Hanging in the garden


I've given up on waiting for light to take a good picture of the castle. I've pretty much accepted that it's always going to be dark here.

Castle picture (not the best photography).


Another random tangent...the clementines here are DELICIOUS!!! So fresh and sweet tasting, yum.

Did I mention before that this speculoos>Nutella??? LOVE THIS STUFF (but not as much as PB). When thinking of little things I'll want to bring back the the US, this makes the list.



No comments:

Post a Comment