Friday, January 17, 2014

What am I bringing to LUX?

Packing for this trip was a little bit of a nightmarish experience, especially having never stepped a toe off of American soil and not knowing what one might need when abroad for four months.

Something that's important to me is to blend in a little bit while I'm there. I know that I'm not likely to be 100% successful, but I don't want to be marked as one of those Americans who wears pajamas in public while touring around (or something like that). Now, I don't wear pajamas in public anyways, but I'm trying to class it up a notch with my wardrobe. Having never been anywhere I really don't know what to expect as far as the normal wardrobe over there. I'm not bringing many sweatshirts, and am saving luggage space by relying a lot on dresses (both a top and a bottom in one!), skirts (tinier than pants!), and tights (extremely portable) to get me through. I'm of course bringing warm sweaters, boots, running clothes, a couple pairs of pants for if it's really too chilly to wear a skirt/dress. I do know scarves are very "in," plus they really are effective in keeping you warm, so I'm bringing several of those too. We won't be able to do laundry terribly often, which means lots of socks&undies are a must.

My several scarves - ready for all climates!

Aside from a running hat and gloves, and my running ear warmers, I've got some nicer ones to bring as well (ear warmer and hat knitted by ma mère).


I was not kidding about the socks!

I'll be bringing my digital watch and Garmin too, but I definitely wanted to have my dressier watch for day-to-day use and the few staples of jewelry that I like the wear. And of course my ($5.99) sunglasses have to go with me everywhere too!

As far as cosmetics...I'm a pretty simple girl. These will be the essentials while I'm there!

Sweaters! These are bulky so I've limited those as well :)

Here's a more precise/condensed packing list:

  • 1 jeans, 1 "nicer" pair of pants, 1 pair of black skinny pants
  • 1 pair yoga/sweatpants
  • 3-4 short-sleeve t-shirts (good under sweaters)
  • 3 long-sleeves
  • 1-2 dressier shirts
  • 2 quarter zips (work as running clothes and could work with my jeans)
  • 1 sweatshirt (best for sleeping in)
  • 1 thermal running tights
  • 1 athletic base layer (can be worn just to stay warm in general)
  • 1-2 pairs of flats/walking shoes
  • 1 North Face fleece
  • 3-4 skirts that can be worn in winter or spring weather
  • 3-4 dresses for winter/spring weather
  • 1 "dressy" dress
  • 1 pair athletic shorts
  • 1 pair sleep shorts
  • Lots of tights!
  • 5-6 sweaters and cardigans
  • Rain jacket!
  • Winter puffy coat
  • Flip-flops for showering at the hostels
  • Ankle/combat boots (to be worn with skirts/jeans/anything!)
  • Beans boots (for hiking and for something warm to wear!)
  • Running shoes
  • Compression socks (this is excessive, but I might be wearing these on the plane)
  • Running hats, gloves, ear warmer 
  • Hat, gloves, scarves
  • Sunglasses (both for running and for day-to-day usage
  • Swim suit, cap, and goggles (in the tiny chance I get in a few laps at the local public pool where I'm staying - it looks unlikely for now)
  • Lots of socks and undies :)
Other items include:
  • Prescriptions to last the whole semester (medicine sent by parents will NOT get through customs!)
    • I'm bringing some melatonin in case the time change/jet lag messes with me!
  • Shampoo/conditioner to get me started
  • A notebook, pens, and folders for classes
  • A microfiber towel for mini-trips
  • A tiny jar of PB ;)
  • 2 travel books
  • 1-2 books to read during travel (this is really only because I'm a huge bookworm)
  • All of my giant textbooks
  • Backpack & suitcase locks (and one for my locker at the Chateau)
  • A neck pillow for travel
  • Garmin for running
  • My shiny new camera
  • A power/voltage converter!
  • Well-stocked first-aid kit
  • Small cosmetics that I like
  • My shoulder bag (stowed in the bottom of my suitcase for smaller trips)
  • A gift for my host-mother
  • Money-belt (to hide important stuff from pick-pockets!)
  • Passport
  • Eurail pass
  • Tickets
  • Copies of important documents (passport, Eurail pass, driver's license, certificate of temporary citizenship, etc.)
  • Lots of chargers for all electronics :)
Now that it's all typed it seems like so much! 









2 comments:

  1. 1. Love the blue scarf and knit scarf!
    2. Chocolat House photos and ? didn't load. :-(
    3. I love Israeli couscous.
    4. I'm going to make that butternut squash soup!

    ReplyDelete