Sunday, June 9, 2013

20 Miles on the Towpath and my dreams come true.

Last night I slept for over 11 hours (exhausted from a looong work week!) and woke up ready to take on the day. I started the day with a wholesome bowl of Trader Joe's granola, Cheerios, and fresh blueberries!


I thought it would be a good idea to do a bike ride today, both because I'm trying ease off the running now and also because I need to get used to it for the triathlon(s) I want to do this summer. I pumped up the tires for my mom's mountain bike (actually my mom pumped up the tires for me because I didn't really know how) and hauled the bike into the back of the car. I think that bicycle must weigh at least 80 pounds...now I see why I couldn't do a triathlon with that one. I'm back to active bike-searching!

I drove off to the towpath along the Erie Canal and lugged the bike back out of the car to embark on what I knew would be a long journey. It was a beautiful day (first sunny day in almost a week!) and I was anxious to spend a lot of time outside.

The first thing I had to do was pose for a blue-steel selfie modeling my helmet.


When I started riding, the scenery was absolutely beautiful. I hadn't been to this path in several years and I hadn't realized how ideal it would be for trail running. There are a lot of little trails that lead off the main path and that would be great for me to run in. Plus the path is clearly marked and usually pretty populated, which makes it a lot safer for me. 

I snapped about a million photos of the scenery and couldn't narrow it down beyond this. 







I did 20 miles on the trail and it took me a couple of hours. I wanted to go further but knew that I might expire on the way back, especially because my bike didn't have a waterbottle holder. Surely enough, the final mile was sorta difficult! 

One of the things I love best about running (and now cycling) in nature is that I get to see lots of cool wildlife. I had hoped to maybe see a snapping turtle or bullfrog on the towpath, but the closest I got was  just hearing the bullfrogs talking to one another in the marshes. I did however, see a HUGE (3-4 feet) black snake in the middle of the towpath...I am devastated that I didn't take a picture but at the time the snake seemed really scary and I was speeding by and just didn't think to stop in time. Next time I come across that snake, he will be having a photo-op! 

Next time I'll go in the opposite direction! I think I could easily spend a lot of time at this towpath this summer. 

On the way home, I was dying to have some coffee ice cream. I am not big on coffee but I have been drinking it the last couple of days just to stay awake. I do like coffee ice cream though, and my friend from work recommended "Coffee Chocolate Chunk" from Mitchell's. I mentioned this to my mom when I got home, and that sweet lady brought me to Mitchell's to get some! This seriously made my dreams come true this afternoon. First we had to stop at Costco though. I had a nice time picturing what I'd look like with glasses.


We finally made it to Mitchell's and they filled my cup extra--they must've known this has been my craving all day! 


When we got home, I found the amazing confirmation that my favorite artist (Jack Johnson) has another album coming out! A single was released today!!!! I can't wait for the tour for this, I loved seeing him perform for his last album. This is seriously the best news ever!!!


Now I have a Costco pizza to look forward to later for dinner! It will be the cap on a wonderful day!








No comments:

Post a Comment