Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Heat Survival and hydration.

Today's post will be based around articles written on some of the most important components of running: getting through hot runs, and hydrating enough!These are all very important components of running, particularly in the summer. Today I skipped my run due to the heat and because I've not been feeling very well lately--I think my body's trying to tell me something! Work has also been taking it's toll on me this week as we've gotten used to a new transition...I think it shows in my posts, which I feel have been only mediocre. Hopefully things simmer down soon and I can get back to my old vivacity!

As I mentioned, the first article I found today was on heat survival. A recent heat wave has swept the nation, and I've broken a sweat carrying laundry up the stairs, let alone on my runs. One thing I try to do to avoid this is to run early before work. Recently I've been so tired from not being able to sleep (due to the heat!) that I just wait till it's just getting dark after work--probably the second best time to run. Morning rowing in the summer also comes ridiculously early--best time to avoid the hot sun (which reflects off of the water) is the AM. One of the biggest things that I definitely have to work on is adjusting my expectations, though. A run in 90 degree 100% humidity is just NOT going to be as fast as one in 50 degree weather. This showed in my most recent half marathon, and is also important to remember on practice runs.


As far as getting dressed for a run, I stick strictly to technical shirts. I used to run in athletic running/rowing tanks (important to have form-fitted clothing in all sorts of rowing weather) but now I've accumulated several tech shirts that are MUCH cooler and more appropriate for heat. 

The second article I found is one something I've been failing at lately: proper hydration. This is SO SO SO important and not only keeps you in good health, but helps you run faster, think more clearly, and ultimately function better as a human. This article pushes the use of water and discourages too many excessively sugary sports drinks. I occasionally sip a mini Gatorade in this kind of weather, but generally stick to water because I feel it's just "cleaner" for my body and works better for me than any other beverage. However, I really like the recipe for the energy boost that this article included:

I'm definitely going to be trying this post-run tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment