Monday, June 17, 2013

Lightbulb Smile.

Today's post will be a shorter one--I was running around all day from home to the rapid to work back to the rapid (which is a hike from my office) to home for 5 minutes to pick up the car to SHOPPING with one of my closest friends. We shopped until I was really about to drop--for about four hours! My muscle soreness is NOTHING like from the Cleveland Half-Marathon but my exhaustion sure is. I was tired all day today and all of the heat plus the walking/standing tired me out extra. So, my aim is to get to bed nice and early again--last night I was out by 9:30; I was trying to stay awake but finally just called it quits when I realized how hard I was fighting to stay awake.

Last night in my semi-asleep state as I lay in bed, I remember reflecting on my race. I realized during that run how much it was my race; my experience to make it what I wanted to, no matter what. Remember:


This applies for any day, any race, and any experience. WE are the only ones in charge of how we experience things. Do we want to look at it as a good experience, or bad one? We run the races, they don't run us. I think I must've had a similar transcendental experience during my tenth mile yesterday, because at that point--when I forged ahead, breaking away from my partner of miles 4-9--I remember rounding a corner where a bunch of spectators/cheerers-on were standing. I grinned at seeing them, smiling to show my appreciation and also because of my sheer enjoyment of what I was experiencing. I didn't realize how much I was smiling until one of them yelled "Keep that smile going to the end!!!" I realized "Yeah! I've gotta keep this attitude going!" It reminded me of one of my rowing coaches from high school, Bill, who nicknamed me the "Lightbulb" due to my constant grin, especially when I was launching for races. Somehow, the races before which I was smiling the most always ended up being the ones we won or raced best. Ultimately, they were the best experiences. It's not because I have a lucky smile or anything, but because my positive attitude not only helped me but my teammates. Several times throughout high school I had teammates say "Katie, why are you always so happy???" I didn't have much of a response then, but I know now that it's because when I was there with the team, I was doing what I loved. Furthermore, making other people happy made me happier! Ultimately, all you can expect from a situation is what you create out of it. I think sometimes it takes awhile in life to gain this perspective.

When I was downtown for work I took a bunch of beautiful snapshots of my city! I know it well from the river-banks, but there are many parts that I don't recognize from land. Some of my photography skills are sketchy but I think that it captures the beauty of the light and weather accurately enough!




Worked on rehydrating with a Very Berry Refresher...

...and by eating watermelon and grapes!

Remember to always run happy!








No comments:

Post a Comment