Saturday, June 1, 2013

Favorite $1 Blazer, new book, and alone.

In one of my recent posts I mentioned my $1 blazer, which I found at a street fair a few years ago. I seem to be able to pair it with every summer outfit for work. It's a shrunken blazer and it has 3/4 sleeves, and it's also made of a light fabric so it goes well with dresses, pants, t-shirts, etc. Would be really nice with shorts too!

Here's how I wore it today:

And the back looks like this!

Today I worked for 8-9 hours and later in the evening I will be going off to do some babysitting. I think it will be late enough that I'm just going to act as a sort of prison-gaurd to make sure the kids are staying in bed and that everything's safe--hopefully not too much drama there! I'm bringing a book which I've just started to look at--Eat and Run by Scott Jurek. I gave this book to Alex for his birthday and after reading Pam Reed's ultra-running book, I wanted to give it a try. Jurek includes a lot of his vegan recipes--he trains/races/exists on a plant-based diet--and I thought that was cool because I'm quasi-vegetarian/not-so-into-meat. I haven't actually sat down and read any of the book yet; I've just skimmed random pages and read little parts out of order, so my goal tonight is to actually sit down and read. So far, though, Jurek strikes me as a little nuts...and not in a bad way! Somehow Pam Reed didn't strike me as super-crazy but Jurek seems to just be a ball of excessive energy and frightening determination. I guess the whole vegan thing baffles me too--I have yet to learn how you become a champion ultra-runner on a plant-based diet but hopefully that's what the book teaches me!

Also today I happened across an old video on YouTube that sort of struck home with me right now. I'm spending a lot more time alone than usual because all of my close friends are traveling or working elsewhere for the summer. It sort of seems like fate that I came across this video at this point, because sometimes--though not too often, because I often thrive being alone--I've found myself feeling a little lonely. Take a look:



I really don't think I'll be going out to dinner or going dancing by myself anytime soon...but I think the general idea of this little movie is really a good one, and I think it's very sweet. After 2 semesters living in a TINY dorm with a roommate (who I love very much, by the way), I've honestly been dying for privacy and alone time...so even though I've certainly missed specific people this summer, I'm not complaining about the amount of privacy and space that I now have! As this film seems to say, sometimes excessive privacy and alone time can be very good for you, and can really be quite productive and helpful in building a better relationship and awareness of yourself.  I just thought it struck me well at this point in my life.

They say the physical act of smiling immediately puts you in a better mood...here's a smile for you, on this dark, rainy new-June evening!






No comments:

Post a Comment