Thursday, August 15, 2013

Katz Club and Kona.

Last night, we went to the Katz Club diner for dinner. It was a pretty neat place and had a lot of things on the menu that I would've wanted to try! My sister and I shared a sandwich and chocolate shake and each got a salad. Mine was yummy spinach with balsamic!

Here's some pics of the whole experience:





This morning ironSister picked me up from yoga and brought this pillow cookie for us to share...there was a brownie in the middle!

The rest of the afternoon was spent doing some much needed college shopping and other errands.

------------------------------------------------------------

Today, as I mentioned, was another 90-minutes of hot yoga. I went at noon, and this was the best and the "easiest" feeling class so far. I don't know if the room was cooler than usual (unlikely), if the time of day suited me better, if it was better having little to no food in my stomach, if I was better hydrated, or if it was a combination of all of these things that made the class amazing. I'm not really improving on any of the 26 postures too much but at no point today did I feel like "uh oh I'm getting light-headed!" I think I was pretty well-hydrated from yesterday but I didn't drink anything all morning leading up to class. Not sure if my frequency of going to class has sent me through a barrier and now things will be easier or what but it was certainly promising! Hopefully I can make it to one more session (at least) before my departure 1 week from today. 

Last night I spent a great evening watching the 2012 and 2008 Kona Ironman World Championships. The 2013 champs are coming up in October, but watching these people race is seriously one of the most inspiring things ever for me. It's one thing to complete an Ironman, but completely a different thing to do so on Hawaii where it's over 100 degrees for parts of the race and brutally hot and humid.... I think back to those hot and humid 90 degree days where I struggled to complete my trudgingly slow 5-mile runs, and then try to picture how these people did so for a marathon AFTER a 2.4-mile swim and 112-mile bike. Man, oh man! If you want to watch part or all of the 2012 championships, you can do so here. It provides a great idea of what Ironman is and shows the level of work that it takes to get to that level of competition. Even though I was dead-scared by the difficulty of the event as I was watching the championships, it still made me want to do an Ironman 70.3 (Half-Ironman). I don't want to jinx it because there's a pretty fair chance that it won't happen, but I did pick one out for next year that should fall exactly 1 year from my first triathlon a few weeks ago... Besides the training, there's a huge amount of logistics that go into making it to such an event (and it's crazy expensive to be a triathlete) so don't be surprised if it doesn't work out...but stay tuned :) Either way, I'll get there some day (even if it takes a decade to save the money that it'll take to do so!).  




No comments:

Post a Comment