Monday, August 19, 2013

Progression run, yeah!

First off, let me wish a very happy MONDAY to everyone, especially some of my friends that read the blog!!! Congrats to either finishing or beginning your first week of school this week! You know who you are :)

Secondly, some exciting news!!! I did my first progression run today. Usually, I work out by minutes. Recently, I've liked to try to be active from anywhere between 50 to 90 minutes a day. I've been keeping record of that more for the past 2 weeks, just because I wanted to do a running cleanse for awhile and cut back from long runs, but still benefit from long-term cardio and endurance. I didn't want to lose the endurance that I've built up from doing longer races, and I'd like to stay in shape to do longer races (maybe squeeze in another half-marathon this fall???!). Today, however, I went back to running after pretty much taking a complete break from it for about 2 weeks (with a couple exceptions including my long run and a couple quick outings that were just for fun like with my sister and new shoes). I thought for a change, I could focus on miles and a fixed distance rather than minutes. I decided to do a 5-mile progression run, but I didn't decide this until I got out running and felt how it was! I never know how long I'm going to run for until I've been running for 4-5 minutes. I usually know if it'll be a long day, a medium day, or a short day before I leave, and today I knew I'd be medium, which is anywhere between 4-6 miles for me.

YES my bright pink socks still match the insides of my shoes! 
The insides of my new and old shoes are twins :)


I used the first mile to warm up, and then I hit it! I did miles 2-3 at the same speedier "effort" pace, and then mile 4 was 10 seconds faster and miles 5-5.75(it was actually almost 6 miles, not 5, but I thought I was on my 5 route...guess not) were each 10 seconds faster and faster per mile. I finished feeling pretty beat. It was 80-degrees and I was VERY under-hydrated and certainly not well-fueled (it was 3 in the afternoon and all I'd had was a waffle at 9:30AM...let's just say I procrastinated this run for awhile today...). Anyways, I LOVED the idea of a progression run and it felt great today. Considering my PR on the erg yesterday, my legs were not fresh and this was not full-out to my complete ability. With all of this in consideration, I'm really excited about how my running's come along this summer. I think I'm a less-is-more runner...I don't need to run 7 days a week to improve, and in fact my running suffers when I try to do so. I make a lot more progress when I do 3-4 runs a week and make those COUNT in addition to cross-training, strengthening, and stretching. I'd go as far to say that my body wasn't really designed for running (which surprises a lot of people that take a look at me and my parents, I come from a light-speedy-running-efficient-looking family) and I'm easily injured and my legs suffer if I do too many miles per week. I'm really glad I've taken the time this summer to really come to terms with myself as an athlete, and to research and grow on that front.

Me saying hi in my new mirror for my new room!
(sorry for the bad quality...)

That being said, I must admit I'm already plotting how I can get a run/erg in on Saturday when I arrive back on campus following a 2-day retreat... I realized that it's less about getting in the activity and exercise, but more about keeping my sanity and keeping routine. My problems melt away when I'm pounding on the pavement, pushing on an erg, or pedaling on a bike. I lose myself, and my thoughts sort of simplify in a way. This summer, I had a lot of free-time when I wasn't working, and to avoid getting lonely and bored, exercise is what I did! I am ADDICTED to the feeling of accomplishment, the feeling of sweat, and the pride that every run, row, and bike gives me. It kept me positive, happy, and gave me the sense that I was doing something. In some way, sport has helped me find myself this summer. I've learned how deep I can dig, how far I can go, and how hard I'm willing to work. This all applies athletically and otherwise. I feel confident moving into the new semester with this mindset. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment