Saturday, August 3, 2013

Yummy salad and getting ready.

First thing's first: what would a blog post be without a picture of some food?!?! Last night I was home by myself and had the wholeeeeee kitchen for any kind of culinary creation. I was going to make some pasta (easy, boring) but decided to make a nice, big, green salad! We had locally grown lettuce and cucumbers from my grandpa's garden hanging out in the fridge, so I wanted to put them to good use.

The end result:

I spent a good 25 minutes thoroughly washing, slicing, peeling, and chopping and the final product was delicious. I added 2 boiled eggs for substance and some pita chips for a salty crunch. It was great. I do a lot of baking, but I almost never cook a meal for myself, and going through the whole process of preparing it from the most raw form was really awesome. Often times, meals taste better prepared by someone else, but this time it felt good to eat something that I'd put a lot of time into.

Today my mom and I embarked on a journey: triathlon packet pick-up! We also sat in for a highly recommended course talk...I feel more nervous AND more confused after that talk, which isn't too promising, but we're hoping to get to the course around 5:45AM to check things out for ourselves. I was successful in getting my packet though! I liked the goodie bag, lots of new kinds of stuff that I don't get for running races (like felt numbers and a pretty blue swim cap for my wave start :) They also added some GU...never used it or wanted to (and won't need it for my short triathlon) but maybe I'll try it out on a long run sometime! Hoping to get one in before moving back to school. I'm loving the race shirt we got; it's technical and I wasn't expecting to get a race shirt at all for this one so it's quite the welcome surprise!

I decided to lay out all of my things for tomorrow just to see what it all looked like in front of me (was it too much??). I referred back to my checklist that I found online and shared a couple weeks ago. 
Since taking the photo I also added some sunscreen and tissues. I'll probably add hand wipes to the pile too, I liked having those following my half-marathons. I included a big water bottle to use to rinse of my feet if they get dirty. We won't have a sand start or exit but I bet I'll pick up some junk on my feet on the run over to T1. Can you spy my new swimming goggles? 

Tonight I still have to freeze some water bottles and stick my numbers on my bike and on my helmet...and adjust the bike seat so it stays put. It couldn't hurt to charge up Garmin, either! I sure hope I'm remember ing everything! Tonight will be early to bed, hopefully I'm not too nervous to sleep!




No comments:

Post a Comment