Monday, July 1, 2013

Chocolate Waffles and speedPLAY.

Today I did my first ever day of SPEEDWORK with running, but I like to call it speedplay because it's FUN. I thought it was much more interesting than normal running and it kept me occupied! I think I could make quite a habit of this and it seems like it could help me a lot...reminds me of how much I can actually push myself! Considering my legs might've been a little heavy from yesterday's ride/run, I decided to just try it easy and do a mini-speed workout. I ran almost a mile to the track as a warmup, and then did 1200 at 5k pace, took a rest by running slowly through the grass, and then did 800 at 5k pace. It went really well! During the warmup I felt like "gahhh I am slowww" but I sped right up to my normal 5k pace as soon as it was go time! I ran home nice and easy for my cooldown. The speedwork was definitely challenging, but felt great and satisfying to push myself like that! I definitely will be incorporating this into my running more often!

I also wanted to mention the Honey Stinger chocolate waffle I tried during my bike ride yesterday. After 10 miles,  I decided to try this power waffle made by the same company as those Honey Stingers I wrote about.

Ultimately, I really liked this waffle and it tasted good and seemed to help me for the second 10 miles of the ride. I didn't feel that "flop" that I felt the last time I did this ride but I think that also could have to do with the lack of sun/heat that I had to deal with the last time as well. The fact that Lance Armstrong endorses it sort of adds to the debatable-ness of it's effectiveness, I guess! If I had to choose, I would probably use it again (but might experiment with other power-bar type things first). The only complaint I had was that it's "fragile" and broke easily in my pack, and the waffle, which would otherwise have been a cinch to eat, was crumbly and I lost some. Otherwise, it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment