Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Learning about triathlons and Prefontaine.

I love this Pre quote. I didn't know much about Steve Prefontaine until I read 14 Minutes by Alberto Salazar, who actually knew Pre. Both such great, breakthrough distance runners and role models. This quote says it all: we are SO lucky to have the abilities and opportunities given to us. I tell myself this every day.

Yesterday my run went much like Monday's.  I did the same pace/distance and it was the same temperature. Today, however, it's 90 and "feels like 97" so even I was reduced to spinning. I did an hour of spinning with a fan blowing straight on me. When I looked at the temperature, my thoughts of doing a bike/run brick floated sadly out the window. It's probably for the best, because I know I really needed a day off after those two long runs, anyways, especially considering the heat. Hungry Runner Girl seems to only take 1 day off of running per week, but I think I'm more of an every-other-day and cross-train in between type of girl. 

I've devoted the last couple of days to cramming a bunch of information about triathlons. I'm getting more and more excited, and I'm going to do this (the promise is stronger and stronger to myself everyday!) even if I had to do it in a make-shift tri-suit and with a big, heavy mountain bike with fat tires. Even if I'm the last one out of the water! Last night I found this adorable video of one woman's first triathlon experience...I love this video! It gave me a great idea of what to expect and was definitely motivating and very cute.

I did some reading to find tips/advice for first-time triathletes, as well. This article really helped me put things in perspective. I kept telling myself I couldn't do a triathlon because I didn't have the "stuff." However, I have more than enough to complete a triathlon. I'm certainly not going out there to win, I just want to finish. It doesn't matter if my bike is heavy or if I don't have a wetsuit! Seeing it in writing helped solidify this fact.


This article gave me some good advice on transitions... could avoid some really bad foot problems with this tip!



Everyone knows how much I like lists, and this thorough list should really help me get my things together before the race!


I know it's only Wednesday, but I'm already thinking about what I might like to bake this weekend (last weekend I talked about making delicious s'mores bars... this has a similar theme!). I found these s'mores cookies on one of Hungry Runner Girl's posts...will be trying!




No comments:

Post a Comment